cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to change where synced data is stored locally with the Desktop App

Ability to change where synced data is stored locally with the Desktop App

It would be nice to be able to change the location of locally stored data for the Desktop App from the default of %appdata%/Local/EgnyteDrive to another location.  That folder is on the C:\ drive for Windows machines and cannot be moved.  This becomes a problem when most of my users only have 256GB C:\ drives, and need to regularly have 50-100GB of data synced locally.  All of my users have at least a 2TB external drive which would be far better suited for storing such large amounts of data.

My understanding is that this cannot be changed at the moment.  This is a problem.

25 Comments
Employee Kash Uppuluri
Employee
Status changed to: Considering

Am moving this to considering while we figure out the specifics of how this could be implemented. The only consideration is that you will need to define this for each local user on the machine.

Am curious to hear thoughts on how you would want to define the location to store synchronized files and how you would secure the content (eg. prevent one user on the machine from seeing another users content).

Today, we store this data in the user's profile directory so there are protections in place to prevent users from seeing the synchronized content of other users unless specifically given permission to do so.

mcaruso
Vigilante

I too also have users who have a 256 gb ssd for software but an internal 2 tb/1tb drive for file storage. It would be great to use the larger internal drive d as a storage location (like what desktop sync already does).

Seth Rice
Vigilante

We are also hitting a brick wall, with the files being stored locally in the user's home directory. We tend to avoid loading up the OS critical partitions with files unrelated to running the OS. With this current setup of storing the files in the home directory of a user, it means a sync could potentially eat up all that space on the C: drive. For example, grinding the system to a halt once it fills up from an overzealous sync. The home folders for users on the system we are running the sync on, are very small in size as well. Otherwise we would have setup the home directories elsewhere by default.

I think for concerns about security, when it comes to someone changing the default option. Adding a flag that pops up and says something like this would likely suffice.
"Notice: You are changing the storage path to a location with permissions available to others. Please audit the security settings manually to ensure the permissions are as you intend."

For us the number of folks accessing the system this is syncing to is very limited. NTFS can also do a good job on windows of locking those limited users access down, for the folders and files in question. It's also something admins know they need to audit and change anyways when setting up a new share or storage volume from scratch.

Anthony_Seattle
Vigilante

I always try and leave my C drive clean and keep data on a secondary hard drive.

Some of our users also can work with very large files and the ability to define the offline folder location would keep perforamance up on these machines. 

sgoodeEI1
Vigilante

This has been a real pain for me as I've been using the Desktop Connect App to transfer our file server to the cloud.  Kind of a pain copying 4 TB of data in 100GB chunks thanks to a small SSD C Drive. Hate to mention a competitor but Dropbox allows you to choose the local cache folder location during the install process.  If you want to move the location you have to reinstall.

This was written before I found the cloud migration manager which is magical.  I still have a couple graphics users that have SSDs for their primary drive and use spinning disk for secondary.  They would prefer to be able to redirect the local cache to the larger drive.

Joshua Call
Vigilante

C: Drive Disk space is also a large issue for my office. Similiar to others we have smaller (128-256GB) SSDs for our operating systems with larger (1TB+) HDDs for storing content/files.

I understand security to be an issue here, for computers with multiple users, I believe adding an option for admins to be able to turn on/off this feature would be a good start.

Chris MacLean1
Resident

I was keeping my Desktop Sync files on an external 2TB drive as I store a lot of files there. My C drive is only 256GB so storing 500+GB of data that I routinely access will be impossible.

If this isn't available when Desktop Sync is discontinued, we will need to find a new solution from Egnyte.

Please let me know how you plan on fixing this ASAP.

Joseph Young
Vigilante

I also keep all data on a secondary drive.  I've resisted moving away from Desktop Sync for this very reason.  I simply don't have (and don't want to take) enough space on my C drive to synchronize the large amount of data that I regularly access when traveling, etc.  This will need to change for our organization to continue using Egnyte, unfortunately.

Seth Rice
Vigilante
A few days after my last comment, I ended up creating a VM Appliance to host a local storagesync server. This along with the ability to create a general network share on it, allows us to do what we need. We limit the items that storagesync will sync to the local vm appliance, which has a 500GB disk mounted. So anything that syncs from our account online, gets filtered by the folder path, and if selected, gets synced down live. You could set a schedule if you want. Then we connect our management vm’s to the network share, and they can access the stuff we have synced. It’s more complicated than a simple app on a single system. But it does work, and seems pretty fast. Even with the bandwidth throttling we set. So if you are also looking to embark on an automated cloud sync option, to local disk. This can work. Using connect sync on our laptops allows us to push/pull files from the share as well.
Employee Kash Uppuluri
Employee

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback on this - Being able to change the location of the locally synced data is one of your biggest concerns, so we're working on an update to the Desktop App which will allow you to define a location to save content at the time of install. You'll still access the content from the drive but storage will be consumed in the location of your choosing.

We're working out the details of implementation and will share an update as soon as we have more details.

Changing the status of this idea to accepted.

Thanks!