cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Metadata to Files

Adding Metadata to Files

I'm trying to find info that clarifies how to set metadata for a file...not just metadata, but also to configure the fields for a file to capture that metadata.

I found this link which talks about the API...

https://developers.egnyte.com/docs/read/Metadata_API

But it seems to suggest the APIs are used if you want to write applications that interact with Egnyte. Is there built in functionality for Web UI though that allows an admin to configure the metadata namespaces and keys? Is the only way to configure the metadata fields through the API calls? That doesn't seem right but I can't find any documentation or obvious settings in the admin panel.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

D

Tags (1)
15 Comments
Moderator Michael_Kueh

@IDF_Darcy We are currently working on bringing the the namespace configuration into the WebUI. As of right now, the only way to create the namespace is to utilise our API platform or using the Developers mode in the web browser to achieve such configuration.

jeheigel
Resident

Any update on bringing this to the general WebUI?  Would be most useful in classifying files outside of file structures.  Thank you!

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

@jeheigel,

Not yet. We will post an update here as soon as there is news about the release.

Thanks.

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

We're working on a design for allowing administrators to define namespaces and metadata fields.  In the meantime, if you have metadata you'd like to enable, we can work with you to set it up.

taliamath
Vigilante

I'm also interested in this, and would like to be informed if the functionality is added. 

Me too

Yes!  I'm trying to identify possibilities for Egnyte's role/function within a broader document management context, beyond rudimentary folder/file structures...metadata, topical cross-reference, etc.

taliamath
Vigilante

I successfully added a metadata namespace and keys to the UI using the API, but I would like the keys and/or namespace to appear as columns in the UI. Is this possible to do? Also, having more columns would make the ability to resize the column widths even more important, so I am wondering about that as well. Thank you. 

Any update worth sharing on the issue of reintroducing metadata fields / tags via the web API?  Greg, you mentioned the possibility of some help being available to work on this prior to general API modifications being made...?

GregNeustaetter
Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager

The Web UI does support adding metadata fields to documents - the only part that is currently API-only is the initial setup of the metadata fields.  We are planning on adding the ability to define these fields in the Web UI.