cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admin option for link sharing default control

Admin option for link sharing default control

the link sharing defaults to public and not requiring a password. I would like an admin option to change the default to require a password so folks do not have to remember and do not accidentally share a file unintentionally. The idea is that if we share a file with a particular customer they need to log in to see it, if it is not locked down then someone else can get the url and see it without logging in.

21 Comments

Trey,

Was this released last month?

Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Hi Shvonne,

It was! We announced this feature on October 13th...

Are you not able to access it from within your admin console?

Trey

Trey,

I'm not sure.  I thought it would just "happen" when it was released.  Where would I find this feature?

Also, what's technically the "admin console"?  I'm using the old website look since the new look didn't give me access to the Settings area.

Retired Employee

Hi Shvonne,

Click "Settings", then click the "Configuration / File Server Configuration" option on the left side of the screen. Scroll down to the "Share via Links Control" section (it's down at the bottom). You'll see the "Allow Only Password Protected Links" option there.

Trey

Tom Mundy1
Resident

Our users are still able to send Public links once the  "Allow Only Password Protected Links" box has been ticked.

Can you investigate this urgently please?  It has been more than 24 hours so I would have thought if any propagation had to take place, it would have completed by now.

Regards,

Tom

Retired Employee

Hi Tom,

A few things come to mind here.

1. The password-protection setting currently only applies to links to files (though we are working on adding this for folders).

2. The feature is only supported from the New user interface. 

If neither of these conditions apply to you, please let me know and I will get a ticket started for you.

I apologize for the inconvenience,

Trey

Trey,

Are you going to have this apply in the old interface as well?  I know people in my organization (myself included) still use the old web interface. I switched back to the old interface because as an admin I couldn't do anything with Settings in the new interface. 

Unless you are going to do away completely with the old interface this seems backward to only allow it in one view.  Is this an attempt to get people to move to the new interface?  If so, it only adds headache for people like me - not the general user who doesn't know or care either way.

Robert Orton
Resident

I am using the old interface (I find it to be far more useful) and I would most certainly like password protected links to be available to me.  Please implement this feature - it makes no sense that it would only be available with the new interface!  Thank you!

Robert Orton
Resident

Please ignore my last comment.  You've changed the New Interface A LOT since I last looked!

Retired Employee

Hey glad you like it! We've made a lot of improvements!