cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better sync options for the Personal Cloud

Better sync options for the Personal Cloud

At present users sometimes have to wait a long time for files and folders to sync. Often they do not need to have copies of these particular files and folders on their machines.

Therefore I'd like to see the Personal Cloud have the ability to:

• choose from the entire folder structure which folders to include / exclude (at present you can only choose from the top level)

• exclude certain file types / files over a certain size

22 Comments
Jana Tornga
Resident

Fortunately, Chris, we learned that "deleted" files are held in the Trash folder, which can be set to delete many days out.  You have somewhat of a backup with that system.  We found out after some of our folders went missing one day.  We still do not know what made them disappear, but were grateful that we found them in the Trash folder and could restore them promptly.

Jana Tornga
Resident

Has anyone else had trouble with files syncing properly to the egnyte server from their local cloud? The files I have updated on my local cloud do not get updated to the egnyte server unless I manually upload them.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  I am very frustrated . . .

Mandy Hayes
Resident

All that Egnyte need to provide is a utility that will allow you to select which folders etc from your existing directory structures are synchronised to the PLC. If we had an option to be able to select if they were also held in the local cloud as well as the hosted cloud that would be ideal.

Then we wouldn't need to worry about separate backup

TJ Chaplin
Resident

I agree with Peter.  Given that backup may be discontinued, I would prefer not to have to rearrange my entire file structure to be "under" the local cloud in order for it to be synchronized.  Being able to selcted a list of folders and files - like in backup - that will be constantly synchronized would be a much better option.  We moved to Egnyte because it took care of the backup option as well as the other features.  Losing this sort of feature, or making it difficult to use might cause us to go looking around again.

Mohammad Fahim
Resident

This would be a very helpful and essential feature..Any updates?

It's now been a year since this post started and we haven't had an update for sometime now. An ETA would be very useful as we need this functionality as our staff are running out of disk space because of the inability to selectively sync just the folder/files needed...

James Borchart
Resident

We love your product and so far, Egnyte has met many of of expectations and requirements.  Unfortunately, this has become a 'no go' show stopper for two clients.  Unless this functionality is deployed soon, I'm afraid we'll need to look for another solution.  Our power users don't have the storage capacity, band width or interest in synchronizing an entire root folder to their local cloud, they need to select specific folders in the tree to synchronize to PLC, and the ability to modify this as project requirements change.  Altering our folder and file structure to meet the limitations of Egntye PLC is NOT an option.  If possible, please let us know what the priority is for this request, and if the project manager has an anticipated date for testing and deployment; how soon will end users see this functionality?  Thanks, sincerely!!  

Scott Page1
Resident

For those of you following this thread, they have just launched the PLC v7.0 beta with Subfolder Sync 

Details can be found here: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/entries/20664347-personal-local-cloud-version-7-0-beta-subfolder-sync

Alex Zawatsky
Resident

I like the new functionality of the personal local cloud, but would like to see one more improvement.  As of now, if you have a folder ("folder 1")  that contains individual files as well as subfolders and you set up your local cloud to exclude any of these subfolders all of the files in folder 1 will be excluded as well (i.e., will not show up and be available in your local cloud).  It would probably be overkill to be able to individually select specific files to include/exclude in your local cloud, but I would like the option to include/exclude all individual files from folder 1 (could just be a checkbox that says "include individual files at this level")...come on Egnyte, make it happen.

David Haddad
Resident

First off, I just discovered this feature in V7 and it is HUGE, thank you.  You just shot the usefulness of Egnyte through the roof for us.

Secondly, PLEASE check your login system.  I just spent 5 minutes trying to post here.  Whenever I click on "add comment" it takes me to a page that asks me if I am an existing customer and when I enter that info, instead of allowing me to comment (as in the past), it keeps directing me over to our private Egnyte site!  The only was I was finally able to comment was to select "help" from the new interface (on our private site under settings) which brought me back here.