cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Username on an Egnyte Account

Change Username on an Egnyte Account

The ability to change the username of an Egnyte account will prevent the need for deleting and recreating an account after a name change when AD authentication is being used.

22 Comments
Ivan Nix
Resident

Originally from ticket #118164.

Currently you do not have the ability to change the user login information when a person changes their name.

Need the ability to change login info when I have married ladies change their last name, or for any reason.

Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Got it. I will add this to the list of feature requests for the settings and admin section of our product.

Thanks for taking the time to give us some specific product feedback.

Trey

ES Admin
Resident

Hello again!

Currently we cannot edit a user's username, which would be nice - some of our user names include last names, which can change though the person may not.

For instance, if my user's named Steve Balmer, his user name might be steve.balmer. Steve gets married, and hyphenates his name: he's now Steve Balmer-Gates. We'd like to be able to change his username to reflect this without having to go through the whole process of deletion, creation, and reassignment to groups and permissions!

Retired Employee

Hi,

We've received this request before to cover this exact employee-getting-married use case. We don't have any immediate plans to change the username, as its a key we use all over the back end of the application and would be a big project to change. I will add this comment as a +1 for it, though. Thanks for the comment.

I wish Mr. and Mrs. (?) Ballmer-Gates well. They would make some beautiful children together. 

• Trey
ES Admin
Resident

Huh - I'm amazed a different unique identifier wasn't used as the backend, like a user ID # or something that we'd never see, precisely for this reason. This is one of those things that if you leave to fix too long will become a much bigger project than the one you're worried about now...

Frank Tromble1
Resident

Has this been implemented? This feature is needed badly. If a user changes there name we have to create a new account prior to the name change, move the items in their private folder from the old account to the new account. Then we have to figure out what folders the user has access to, what rights they were given and apply those to the new account. This can be a nightmare. If Egnyte followed Active Directory then this wouldn't be an issue.

Retired Employee

Hello Frank,

I checked with the PM responsible for "Users and Groups" and we do not have any plans to allow people to edit usernames. However, I will talk to him about improvements we can make to the reporting features that would make it easier for you to replicate a user's permissions. 

Thanks for choosing Egnyte.

Trey

This request should be revisited, and this functionality enabled.

People change their names for all sorts of reasons (marriage, divorce, transgendered people, etc.).  Changing their user name shouldn't be so complicated.

In Google, we change their name and address and it automatically sets an alias of their previous name so nothing is lost. O365 isn't difficult either.  Not sure why it's a problem for Egnyte.

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for writing to us. I see that there is already a ticket filed with the engineering team for an enhancement. I will check with them and see if there is any movement on this.

Thanks

Sagar

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Paul,

I am sure you already know that the Egnyte username is tied to quite a few portions on Egnyte. A few years back the user name was used to login to Egnyte. Later even the email was introduced as a login credential. 

I will check with the Product Team to see if they are planning any change to this behavior or they would still want to be strict with the username. 

Thank you for taking time to write to us. 

Thanks