cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check for Updates??

Check for Updates??

0 Kudos

Am I missing something - why isn't there a simple way to check for updates to tell if I'm running the latest version of desktop sync?  I have right clicked on the desktop sync icon in the notification area and looked all over, even opened up every page related to it in my browser, and nowhere can I find a simple "check for updates" command.

Tags (1)
10 Comments
David Haddad
Resident

I also notice that when I go download the latest cloud setup file, it doesn't even have a version #, it is just "egnyte local cloud setup".  So even though I can eat least see the version I am running, I can't even manually compare it whatever the latest file you have up for download.  As I could for instance, if your file for download had a version # attached to it.

Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

David,

If an update is available, you'll see a notification like this one at the top of your personal local cloud configuration page.

David Haddad
Resident

Thanks Trey.  I think Egnyte is doing a pretty darn good job with user interface design and I'd like to humbly suggest this is an area that could use improvement.  That message itself is good, BUT there should ALSO be a message there when there is NOT an upgrade available that says something like "you are running the most current version".  That was a user who expects to be able to make sure their software is up to date, isn't left scratching their head in confusion and frustration when they can't find any way to check, and don't see any confirmation that they are running the latest version.

Make sense?

Retired Employee

It does make sense. I will add this as a feature request. 

Thanks for your input!

Trey

Scott Page1
Resident

Hello Trey,

Any update on this request.

Regards,

Scott

Retired Employee

Hey Scott,

Sorry to say that I don't have any updates to report. I'll post back if I have anything new.

• Trey
Tansy Loya
Resident

I see this is a very old topic, but is there any updates on if there is something that will show this now?

Employee Tri Hoang
Employee
Status changed to: Considering

We roll out updates in batches and users will be notified via OS notifications and Desktop App's UI. The ability to proactively checking for updates is something we can consider.

Damian Levins
Vigilante

Has this been rectified yet?

This was 1st raised in 2013

Users require Admin creds to install updates, so they skip. As the Admin, I need to be able to visit devices and re-initiate the update available window, or check for updates.

How can this be done?

Is it not possible to 'silently' roll out these updates without visiting the machines of all our users manually to insert admin credentials?

Employee Tri Hoang
Employee

@Damian Levins: Have you checked out our Desktop App? If enabled by the admin, the Windows Desktop App can update itself silently on restart without needing any admin privileges. We achive this by including an update service running with admin privileges as part of the Desktop App.