cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create duplicate of the selected file and or folder

Create duplicate of the selected file and or folder

Within my work I find myself in the need to create a duplicate of an existing file (e.g. a PowerPoint) to start a new document based on the content of a previous one. Currently it is not possible to select a file (or folder) from the web environment and click a 'Create Duplicate' button.

Within the Windows of Macintosh environment you also do not have a Duplicate option but there its just a matter of simple Copy & Paste into the same folder, which is not an option in Egnyte.

Would be a neat feature for the future.

Tags (1)
13 Comments
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi Thijs,

Thank you for writing to us. I am not sure about the scope of this feature considering the fact that we support file versioning. So a same file name in the folder will turn out to be the version of the existing file. 

But I will surely pass this on to the product team and see if this can actually happen.

Regards

Sagar.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sagar,

We have the same issue, but I am going to add a nuance for you: we like to start new documents from older documents so we don't need to rebuild files from scratch. We want the ability to duplicate new instances of files, not create an issue with versioning of the old file. Think of this exercise as a way to use the old file as a template for the new file.

For example, we write a quarterly newsletter that has all the sections we need all done. There is no way in Egnyte to duplicate the file as a new instance, so we must use Egnyte Connect and our computer's operating system to make the copy.

However, this does not work with Google files, which means that a Google Doc (for example) must be duplicated in Google Drive, the re-opened in Egnyte, and then re-opened in Google... it is convoluted and time-consuming to do this.

Please re-check with your team, as I can see Thijs' post is more than a year old...

Hi David, Hi Sagar, 

I do indeed agree that is has nothing to do with versioning. It should just duplicate the file and call it [original-filename]-copy.docx (for example) so I only have to rename it afterwards. It is okay that is looses all previous versions in the duplicated file because it is indeed often to use it as a starting point for a new file.

Basically I do this now by downloading the file and uploading again but if you work with Egnyte 40+ hours a week extensively (like we do at our office) it saves quite some frustration.

Hope this feature will make it into a next release.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sagar What is the update on this request? I have just been tasked with duplicating a number of Word documents to start new templates based on an existing file. Like Thijs mentioned, I have to download and re-upload the document to create a new instance consumes a lot of time for the number of files I need to manage.

Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hello @Anonymous,

I am sorry, but I do not have any news on this one yet. I will check back with our Product Team to check the scope of this feature request.

Thanks.

Retired Employee
Retired Employee
Status changed to: New

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Considering

For folders you can do this in the advanced copy view - we're considering adding a quick option to do this for files.

Vigilante

Hi support, what is the status of allowing duplication for files? Could really do with this in both the web and iOS app interfaces? It’s been years since this fairly simple time-saving request was made.

Employee
Employee

Hello @CMalins,

To confirm, would you like to create a duplicate of a file within the same folder as the original without it creating a new "version" or without having to change the name? Or are you wanting to make a copy of a file and have the "copy" live in a different folder?

If the second option is what you're looking for, this feature is already supported within the Web UI and Mobile App. 

Thank you!

Vigilante

I generate a weekly status report (Excel spreadsheet), and use the prior week's report as a template.  I'd like to be able to just right click the latest version of the doc, create a copy in the same folder, and have it prompt me for the new name.  As it stands I have to copy it to a subfolder, rename it, then move it back.  (Yes I can do this easily via the Connect client, but I'd prefer to be able to do it in the browser).