cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default permissions when creating folder via FTP

Default permissions when creating folder via FTP

0 Kudos

Is there a way to change default permissions when a folder is created? We have had two times recently that a folder was created via FTP program (Filezilla) and the folder was automatically given access to all Power and Standard users on our cloud. This gave access and email notifications to all our clients that are standard users about the folder/files being uploaded. Is there a way to change that setting? I have my employees start folders on the cloud before going to FTP but sometimes it happens.

Tags (1)
3 Comments

Hi Jerrod,

There isn't currently a way to change permissions for a folder through FTP. However, you should keep in mind that any subfolders you create will automatically inherit permissions of the parent folder. For example:

Imagine you have a parent folder (called Project A) that all of your PU and SU have access to. If you then create a subfolder under Project A, that subfolder will automatically be available to all of those users as well.

Of course, these permissions can be changed after the fact, since Egnyte allows you to modify or deny permissions at any level of your folder hierarchy.

You may want to create a new root level folder (i.e. directly under Shared) where access is more restricted. Then, if you add new folders under this parent folder, you shouldn't run into this problem.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Shyam

Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager
Status changed to: New

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Declined

Marking as declined since the folders already inherit permissions when created by FTP (and all other mechanisms) and we have no plans to have a way to set default permissions that should apply to any new folder.