cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Desktop Sync for Single User NOT All Power Users - Device Whitelist

Disable Desktop Sync for Single User NOT All Power Users - Device Whitelist

Original Thread: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200864884-Authorize-specific-users-to-ha...

We don't need the ability to disable Desktop Sync per user just yet but I do see it turning into a request as we start to onboard users.

Also, the ability to have a whitelist/blacklist for devices so users don't go "install crazy" and access data from every malware infected computer in the universe.

10 Comments
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Hi Collin,

Thanks for the feedback. We are actually planning to give admins the ability to control Desktop Sync (and other Egnyte endpoints like the mobile apps, Egnyte Drive, etc) at a user level. I don't have an exact time frame at this point, but we are expecting to address this sometime in the second half of 2016.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shyam

Chris Miller4
Resident

Yes, my company needs this as well. Ideally, we'd like to be able to enable/disable the sync app on a per (Power) User basis. Add our YES vote for this feature! (sounds like the engineers are already working on it anyway)

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Thank you for your vote Chris. You will hear from us when this feature is implemented. You can also subscribe to the What's New section in the Helpdesk to keep receiving updates about the new features and improvements to Egnyte. 

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/sections/200348314-What-s-New

Greg Knight1
Vigilante

Hi Team,

Any news on this feature?  It was mentioned above second half of 2016!

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Greg,

We were expecting that feature to be rolled out mid-2016. However, it did not make it to list to be released. I will check with the Product team again and update you if we have another date for the release.

Regards

Sagar.

Greg Knight1
Vigilante

Any update on this.  I would expect with the new Egnyte client and how easy it will be now for users to choose to locally sync files, that Administrators and data owners should be able to decide who can sync a file to their local PC.

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Greg,

I do see an enhancement ticket filed with the Product Team for introducing more granularity for the admins to control the access permissions to Desktop Sync. 

However, something or the other things keep having precedence and this one takes a back seat. But this surely in on the product roadmap. Until then we're considering role-based access for now. There is no confirm date I see which I can gie out to you right now. But I will surely post an update here if I get any.

Thank you for taking time to write here. We appreciate your patience and co-operation. 

Thanks

Sagar

I would very much like to see this feature implemented too. I see particular use for this with external contractors who we want to restrict such functionality from. Has there been any progress with this?

Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee
Status changed to: New

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Considering

We are considering adding this functionality to user roles, to allow for choosing which apps can be used by particular users.

Note that we already support this for sync with the Desktop App.  You can allow your users to use the Desktop App and then selectively choose which roles have the ability to sync content locally.