cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Audit report for duplicate files

File Audit report for duplicate files

Having recently migrated to Egnyte a duplicate file report would be very handy so we can clean up a bit. 

Tags (1)
7 Comments
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi David,

Files with similar names form versions of the file on the UI. The only time they won't exist as versions is when the file name is even a bit different or the files are located in different folders. 

Do you suspect of having instances of duplicate files after you migrated to Egnyte ? As you already know, we do not have any such report as of now, but I was just curious of your use case for this feature request.

Thanks

David Biddle1
Vigilante

Hi, 

Do the files version if they are in different locations? 

My concern is that we have duplicate files in different locations i.e. /Shared/folder1/file1.docx and /Shared/folder2/file1.docx

A search for duplicate names would be helpful.

Dave

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi David,

Thank you for replying. The answer to your question is NO. If the files are at different locations, then they would show up as files with a same name, but at different locations. Only files with same names in the same folders gets clubbed together as file versions. 

A report to find duplicates can be an feature request and it will be passed on to the Product Team. I hope there are more users voting for this feature. 

Thanks.

Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager
Status changed to: New

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Needs Info

What would you expect of a report like this, some indicator of a file and all of its paths along with the file size?

KevinDuffey
Deputy

this is exactly what I would want. On our work Egnyte as an employee backs up they are likely backing up corp files that others on their team has, such as 80Mb corporate decks for sales team, etc

Id want to delete those and point the user to the corporate shares for standard files

Jay Villaluna
Vigilante

Yes, a report that would show file name and the path to all the duplicates. When generating the report, you should have the option of specifying a single file, several files, or all files in a particular folder for searching. Lastly, maybe an overall duplicate "health" report, that shows percentage of files having duplicates.