cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File control

File control

0 Votes

Originally from ticket #115815.

Is there any way to control what kind of data is saved into the Egnyte cloud, or monitor certain file types that are being uploaded?

11 Comments
Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Hi Trevor,

That's an interesting request. You can use the File Audit Report to see a list of files (including the .type suffix) that users have uploaded to your account. We don't have a way to prevent the upload of specific file types, but I can create a feature request for that. Which types of files are you looking to restrict?

Thanks for using Egnyte,

• Trey
Trevor Jones2
Resident

Hi,

Ideally I would like some administrative control over what is being uploaded, to prevent our employees from saving lots of personal data like movie files etc and consuming unnecessary space.  In addition, I would like to be able to set quotas on certain folders, such as personal directories, with an email notification to end user and administrator that they are approaching their limit.

Trevor

Retired Employee

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for following up. I've added your feature request for some mechanism to control uploads of specific file types.

We've received several requests for a quota feature. I will add your request as a "+1."

Thanks for choosing Egnyte and for taking the time to make a product request,

Trey

Jeremy Daulton
Resident

I'm surprised this feature isn't already available.  Even with basic FTP sites, you can control what file extensions are uploaded.  I know this doesn't mean the user couldn't trick it by renaming the extension but at least it's a start.

Retired Employee

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the feature request; I'll add you as a +1 for this. Other account administrators have asked for it and I definitely see how it would be useful.

• Trey
Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Delivered

Our desktop applications offer a setting that allows you to blacklist extensions from upload.  In the future we'll consider opening this up to other endpoints.

Kev
Deputy
Are there any plans to add this feature to the web interface? My organization users are managed via AD, and I'd love to prevent certain users or even groups from uploading certain file types including mov/mp3/mp4.
Employee vobernikhin
Employee
Status changed to: Considering

Yes, we are considering this for Web UI as well

Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager

@Kev, Please add your idea for this feature in the Web UI as a new idea so we can track it independently from the mobile idea. That will be very helpful for others as they're viewing the ideas to not get confused with what has been delivered vs not. Thank you! 

Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager

Thanks @Kev for submitting the extension of this idea. For those interested in this idea for the Web UI, you can track its status and vote on the idea here: https://community.egnyte.com/t5/Ideas/Restrict-uploadable-filetypes-by-user-or-group/idi-p/12847