cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders created in storage sync to always sync to the cloud

Folders created in storage sync to always sync to the cloud

0 Votes

We recently discovered that newly created folders on the ELC do not always sync to the cloud IF the parent folder is not selected to sync. This makes absolutely no sense to me! You would think anything created on the storage sync will automatically sync to the Cloud...we always want backups of files and folders of our files so for it not to be syncing to the cloud is a pretty big deal. The cloud should be the repository for ALL files and folders so having files/folders that only exist on the ELC and for it not to be in the cloud defeats the purpose of this. This should be rectified soon.

Tags (1)
4 Comments
Employee Ed Tseng1
Employee

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your comment and suggestion. Storage Sync is designed to have the permissions synced down from the cloud.  Because of this, folder permissions are set in the cloud and then honored by the device and with that only the defined folders are able to be synced.  Basically, the cloud acts as the centralized hub and any devices connected are extensions of it.  

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Declined

Josh Leung
Deputy

Hi there,

I'm not questioning permissions, and I certainly want the cloud to act as the centralized hub for all devices. However, this is not the case. We found out there were some folders that ONLY existed on the ELC and not synced to the cloud because of how the folder sync settings were set. These folders were created on the Storage sync device and should of synced up to the cloud with the same permissions of the parent folder.

Employee Ed Tseng1
Employee

Hi Josh,

You are correct - in order to pickup and sync the newly created folders, the parent folder would have to have been selected for sync.  We'll think about how we can improve this experience, but at this time select the parent folder for sync to accomplish syncing new folders added to the device.