cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide Private folders from view

Hide Private folders from view

0 Votes

We have more than one administrator and other uses could potentially view all the users private folders if either of our administrator systems are left unattended. Therefore in our opinion it would be more appropriate if only the user can see their private folder only and should the administrator need to access other user private folders for any reason then they would need to login as the user.

Regards

Kevin

8 Comments
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for writing to us with your feedback. 

Currently, only the admins have access to the Private folders of other users and to avoid this you can downgrade the person to a power user. 

I will pass on your request to the Product Management Team.

Thanks

Hello Kevin,

The easiest solution would likely be to ensure that administrator systems or computers with administrative access remain locked whenever they are not in use. It makes sense that admins can access the entirety of the org's Egnyte filesystem. However if you have multiple tiers of administrative users I can see how this would become complicated. To me it seems that the Egnyte Admin account should have full access, but should be monitored/kept under tight control.

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Andrew, 

Thank you for your post. Your solution is also one way to keep things under control. 

Kevin, one more thing you can explore is the Role Based Administration. Role-based Administration enables you to delegate some of these administrative tasks to Power Users. Role-based Administration also allows you to enable certain features for a subset of users.

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/202189844-Empower-Users-with-Role-based-Administration

Thanks

Kevin Clarke2
Vigilante

Hi Sagar and Andrew,

Many thanks for all your replies. We don't have the correct plan to use Role based administration, but this is not a problem and will take on board your comments and manage this ok within our team.

We are still new and migrating over to Egnyte. All your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Kevin

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Thank you Andrew for your willful participation. And you are always welcome. I am glad we could throw some light on this. Feel free to write to our support team at support@egnyte.com for any technical assistance. 

Thanks

Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee
Status changed to: New

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Declined

We do not have plans to hide private folders from admin users

CBetlach
Vigilante

We want to backup mydocs & desktop to Egnyte but have some privacy concerns.

It would be great if we could hide to personal folders from the standard admin logon. 

In a perfect world, we would have 2 options

1. Super Admin level – separate from normal admins – gives access to personal folders, otherwise they are hidden.
  2. Personal folders can only be accessed using the users logon.

Please keep me posted.
Thanks