cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can administrator disable Power Users from 'downloading' Personal Local

How can administrator disable Power Users from 'downloading' Personal Local

I would like to propose feature of granular permission for downloading the PLC. 

18 Comments
Resident

Do they need to be Power Users?  What additional benefits or features do the users need that are not available to the Standard Users?  The only reason we add a user to the Power Users Group is so they CAN download and use PLC.  If a new user/client/customer needs to be added, the request is forwarded to an administrator who initiates the addition to Egnyte Users and Groups, and manages the permissions.  Just my two cents.

Resident

Access permissions for the Personal Local Cloud need to be more granular. A "Power User-wide" checkbox does not meet the varied levels of access each organization requires and prevents an optimal setup.

Resident

Until sync conflict management is improved this option needs to be in place. 

Vigilante

I would like to add to this that besides restricting which power users can setup a PLC, that certain Shared Folders can also be restricted from being selected when a PLC is setup based up i.e. a certain group of users, leaving the Private folders and other Shared Folders available to synch to a PLC.

Resident

i've been told that the work around is to disable PLC download, then distribute PLC software to power users as needed. 

Resident

Like... bump... +1... etc...   The ability to "bless" which Shared folders are allowed to be synced to mobile devices would go a *long* way to promoting the superior "enterprise-friendly" nature that Egnyte advertises.  Our HR folks do not want their OLC Share to be downloaded to any machine where a Power User may think they want PLC conveniences... ex. a Family Laptop.  OLC users are required to be Power Users to access the OLC on our LAN.  We would like to deploy PLC for non-sensitive and/or Private folders as a "backup" solution for these users, but do not want to risk them syncing multiple gigabytes of personnel data if they naively choose to sync their Shared/HR folder.

Resident

Is this thing on?  It's been nearly a year since my last comment here...  any feedback from the mother-ship available?  I see other threads give the courtesy of a "looking into it" or even a "not likely" -- this feature (or lack of) has prevented us from fully-embracing the full suite of services that Egnyte offers.  Thanks for any insight.

Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hello,

I promise that I read these posts, and am sorry that nobody followed up with you last year. To answer your question: not only is this something that we are looking into, we are planning on making it available in an upcoming PLC release. Other customers shared your interest in this type of feature.

Thanks very much for your patience and for using Egnyte.

Trey

Resident

Thank you, Trey.  I'd love to get a "rough" ETA.  As we may expand our Power User licensing to enable PLC for the /Private folder as a reasonable alternative to the now-defunct Egnyte backup solution.  We do have grandfathered Backup licensing, but I hesitate to deploy that as it appears to be a dead-end service offering.  Ideally, we could grant or allow PLC access on a per-user basis; and then grant or allow /Shared folder eligibility for PLC syncing based on top-level. The combination of User+Share folder eligibility would allow enough granularity for us to expand our use considerably.  Right now, we have to "cross our fingers" that none of our Power Users download and configure PLC.  This is far from ideal; hence our hesitation to deploy further.

Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi,

We're planning this for the PLC release after this next one. Rough estimate of 8 weeks.

Thanks for your patience,

Trey