cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying viewers

Identifying viewers

Hi,

We use the WebUI service. How do we identify who has been downloading and viewing the links we send out?

Thank you,

A

6 Comments
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us.

You should be able to view who accessed the links if you chose the option "Notify me when the link is clicked" while sharing a link. The information under header 'Share File Links'.

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/201637104-Sharing-with-File-Folder-Links-in-Egnyte

Currently we only have option to view access details for the links which you have created, you cannot view it for the links which were created by the other users.

To view the details of the links shared by you, login to Egnyte Web Interface and click on "My Links" and then select the link as described below.

Click on Link Views

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Savills,

This is a very good point. I think one way to mitigate this issue would be to add the option to require that viewers enter a name and a company before they can proceed to view or download the file. This way they won't need to log in with an Egnyte account. This would also allow the "Your file was accessed by..." email to contain useful information besides a general geographic location without being forced to create an account for every single person you want to share the file with. Currently the only other option is to create a standard user account for the individual and then set the file to "COMPANYNAME Egnyte users only".

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Interesting suggestion Andrew.

The need to enter the name and company is only used in the Upload Links as of now. But I see the reasoning behind your suggestion. It will certainly bring in more information on file share links.

I will pass on your suggestion to the Product team to consider this enhancement to the share links feature. 

Thanks.

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Considering

We can consider an option in the future to prompt users to enter in their info, but that would obviously be self-reported and users would be able to enter in anything they want, so it wouldn't necessarily be accurate.

Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager
Status changed to: Considering

Kim Isaksen1
Steward

I think this is an excellent Idea. I just came from a meeting woith our project departmet where they reqested similar feature. 
When we send our files to the printshop, we would like to have documented that the file has been downloaded, and by whom. @GregNeustaetter, I think self recording would go a long way cover the need (for our sake at least), but if you would have more secure way, I can see at least two ways of making that happen. 
1- Allow preview, but identify to download - enter your email to receive a downloadlink.

2 - When sharing, enter allowed adresses, (just the adresses shared with), og domains. (Would require to share from the web gui, offcourse) 

Kim:)