cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited Document Editing to Office Online Only

Limited Document Editing to Office Online Only

It would be nice to force users to use Office Online only to ensure the document is only edited in a collaborative manner. With some documents, resolving the conflicted copies from a multi-user environment is not feasible.

Tags (1)
9 Comments
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Mike,

Thank you for writing and providing your feedback to us. I understand what you mentioned in your feature request. Currently an administrator is able to block/stop the users from using the Desktop Sync, Desktop App and Web-edit application. 

However, the user can still download the files on his/her desktop and edit them to be re-uploaded back to Egnyte. This does not force them to edit the files using MS office online though. 

Have you tried the above administrative settings to see if this suits your requirements ?

Thanks

Sagar.

Mike DeSpenza1
Resident

Sagar,

I haven't tried those settings. Can I set those limitations on only certain files within a folder where the users have full access?

-Mike

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Mike,

Once the other applications are disabled by the admin, the only available option for the users would be to use MS Office Online to edit the files. 

Sadly this cannot be limited/restricted to certain files at any place on Egnyte. When Office Online feature is turned ON, it is applicable to all the files which can be associated with Office Online and where ever the user has permissions.

Thanks

Sagar

I second the need for this feature. 
I need to "lock" a certain file to only be editable by Office Online.

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi David,

Thank you for your vote. I will add you as a +1 to this feature request. 

Thanks

Add a third vote please!

Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager
Status changed to: New

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Needs Info

I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you want this for all Office documents or just specific documents?
  2. If specific documents, how would expect to be able to set this on a document?
  3. Would you want to prevent all other updates to these files (e.g. upload on the web, desktop, etc.)?
Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager

Hi all, just following up on Greg's questions to be sure we can consider this idea. Please see above and let us know about your scenario. Thanks!