cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Desktop Sync

Linux Desktop Sync

I would like to be able to setup Desktop Sync on my Linux workstation.

Tags (1)
49 Comments
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Peter,

Thank you for writing to us. Is there anything specific that you are looking for supporting on Linux. Even though there might be quite a few users on Linux, a majority of the Egnyte users work via Windows & MAC. This significantly reduces the demand of end users on Linux. 

But if you can let me know your usecase, I can certainly check with my Product team to see if there are any other options available. 

Regards

Sagar.

AnitianRobert
Vigilante
I know this is the second resurrection for this thread, but I'd like to throw our voice on this, as I know there are still others who'd love to have native Linux support of *some* kind. Enterprise Linux is surely about on par with Enterprise Mac, and while both are small it'd be a great boon to the Linux community to have native linux support. As is, we're trying to cook something up with Virtualbox VMs and folder pass through. Even if you guys just enabled the community to release something, that'd be great! So I sincerely hope you guys reconsider.
JS C GROUP
Vigilante

I have to agree. I use a debian based system and have no support to use egnyte. My windows users which I control have the ability to view the online egnyte and directly edit microsoft word documents for example with their local programs, and save. For a linux user I only could see the contents and download the contents. It's quite the headache. Desktop Sync would go a long way to make this easy for me. I'm starting to think now that I should move over our company to Box.com where I can mount a Web folder to my system with, or dropbox which has full linux support.

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager

@JS C GROUP - have you tried out WebDAV with Egnyte?  I know that some of our customers use WebDAV to provide desktop access to their files on Linux.

Bjett1
Civilian

Is this still in the works? Have there been talks? or just meh.... maybe someday?

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi @Bjett1,

There has not been any movement on this. But I have written to our Product Team to get a word from them. I will update this thread once I hear from them.

Thanks.

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hello,

I had a discussion with our Product Team about the Desktop Sync on Linux. This feature request was brought up some time back for discussion, but there were no short term plans then.

Sadly this time around too there are no immediate/future plans to introduce the Desktop Sync to the Linux OS. Rather, the focus is more on improving the Desktop Sync on the existing platforms i.e Windows & MAC. 

We thank you for your feedbacks and your interest in Egnyte.

Thanks.

AnitianRobert
Vigilante
Sagar, Thank you for your response and investigation--I do appreciate the time you've taken to answer this. Obviously, this is tremendously disappointing, not only to us in this thread but to the people who periodically peek in here, as well as the silent observers who glance here, hoping for better news. I don't know what we can do to coax you guys further, but if there's some particular carrot we can offer to either get a proper client or at least some kind of API access such that the community can take care of this for us, let us know? The end result will be the same as far as we're concerned--we just want some kind of client-level access without dealing with hoops or platforms we don't want to, or other wise need to, use.
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hello @AnitianRobert,

I totally understand where you are coming from. Let me see if there is/can be a workaround for this functional requirement. 

I will write back once I get some update. 

Thanks

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hello All,

I had a word with the product team about this request. Although there is no movement on this on our end, we want to look into a possibility of efforts to build a Linux sync client using our public APIs. A couple of questions:

1. What kind of information or APIs would help kickstart this effort?
  2. Who would be willing to participate in the community driven effort to build this? 

We are still looking into how much of our sync client can we abstract to suport this.

Thanks.