cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Finder Color Tags

Mac Finder Color Tags

Our team is hoping to have Finder's color tags supported such that our Mac clients (99% of clients) can set a color tag on files on their desktop sync and ideally local connection as well and have those color tags sync to other Mac clients on desktop sync and local servers.

I've found a few discussions on the subject and one idea but the idea was marked as solved. I just re-checked and see that the feature is not currently functional so I wanted to bring it back up. Here is one of the priors (https://community.egnyte.com/t5/Configuration/Support-for-OS-X-quot-tagging-quot/m-p/6466#M3855) which says it is solved while it clearly is not solved or supported.

Tags (2)
16 Comments
Employee Tri Hoang
Employee
Status changed to: Considering

Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee

As we began to develop this feature, we found that there is the potential for performance degredation. Therefore, we had to move this idea back to "Considering" from "Accepted" until we can find a solution that will not result in any reduced performance on the WebUI. Sorry for the inconvenience; we'll be looking for a solution so we can hopefully get this back onto our roadmap. 

Thanks for the update. I would note from our use case that we have no particular interest in using the tags in the WebUI. While I could see how that would be nice, its certainly not the reason we are looking for this.

Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee

Good to know, @Matthew Lambert1. I'll definitely let the team know this and see where that takes us. I'll update here if I learn anything new. Thanks for the clarification!

Employee Tri Hoang
Employee

With the original solution we had in mind, the performance degradation will actually impact the Desktop App more than the WebUI. Users can experience slowness in every listing call i.e. browsing through Egnyte in Finder / Explorer will be significantly slower.

We now need to find another solution to support this feature without resulting in any performance degradation on both WebUI and Desktop App. I will update this as soon as we have any updates.

Thanks, that helps as well.

About a decade ago we tried using a WAN accellerator by Packeteer which I think eventually became Blue Coat. We had a similar problem with that product. This was due to the apple double system used at the time with AFP and their CIFS implementation - directory listings would essentially hang until all of the timeouts expired on calls for extended attributes. I'm not sure how xattrs work now in APFS but I guess I'll assume you're running into similar problems.