cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi folder permission assignment

Multi folder permission assignment

Please allow bulk operations on folder permissions. For example, I have 14 folders total. I want to set a specific Group permission on 10 of the 14 folders at once. Currently, you have to individually select each of the 10 folders to apply the security group. This feature will greatly increase end user efficiency by reducing the amount of clicks necessary to complete a task.

This topic mentioned this over 2 years ago and it hasn't been implemented. https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200858724-Multi-Folder-Permission-Assign...

29 Comments
Resident

I was wondering if there was a faster way to handle permissions like one would handle on a machine such as being able to set the permissions of multiple folders at once or assigning the same permissions to all folders inside of a given folder.

If this can be done through the web interface or another method, please let me know.

Employee
Employee

Samuel -

This is a great suggestion, currently we do not have a away to assign permissions to multiple folders at the same time. 

However, please note that when you assign permissions to a folder, all sub-folders automatically receive those permissions (i.e. inheritance).  Therefore, once you assign at the parent folder level, you are set.

Also, feel free to look into Groups, which is an easy way to manage permissions instead of at the user level.

Your suggestion to have multiple parents receive same permissions in one shot is a good one and we will add this to our enhancement list.

thanks

Rajesh

I would really, really, really LOVE a feature like this, where there is one master interface to manage all permissions--we have a big team with very different permission needs, and it's a major time sink for me to manage. I have many reason why this would be so fantastic, so, that's my 2 cents, and a $100 bill on making this a feature in a future release!

Thanks

Isabelle

Resident

Originally from ticket #101144.

My customers would like to be abl to assign permission to multiple folders at the same time.

Submitted from: http://www.egnyte.com/support/ask-technical-support.html

Resident

Hi Kip,

Thanks for highlighting your request.

If you are looking to give several users access to multiple folders at once, one easy way to do this is to use Groups. Groups allow you to combine users together, then you can simply give the group permission to each folder with a single click, and all users in that group instantly receive access to the folder. 

By using groups to manage folder permissions, you can also add or remove individual users from the group to instantly modify that user's access to multiple folders associated with the group.

You can read the latest developments on group functionality here as well as here.

Resident

So, I have over 25 project teams. Each Project has a folder. Each folder has 20 or sub folders with sub folders under those. I need to give permissions to certain 2nd level subfolders to some users/groups and different ones to others.

IT IS A COMPLETE AND TOTAL PAIN AND TIME KILLER TO HAVE TO SELECT EACH FOLDER ONE BY ONE TO GIVE ACCESS. IF I NEED GROUP A TO HAVE ACCESS TO 5 FOLDERS IN EACH PROJECT I HAVE TO SELECT 125 DIFFERENT FOLDERS AND GRANT ACCESS TO EACH ONE. THIS IS RIDICULOUS AND YOUR USERS HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR A SOLUTION FOR THIS ISSUE FOR OVER 3 YEARS NOW!!!! COME ON EGNYE!

Resident

So, I have over 25 project teams. Each Project has a folder. Each folder has 20 or sub folders with sub folders under those. I need to give permissions to certain 2nd level subfolders to some users/groups and different ones to others.

IT IS A COMPLETE AND TOTAL PAIN AND TIME KILLER TO HAVE TO SELECT EACH FOLDER ONE BY ONE TO GIVE ACCESS. IF I NEED GROUP A TO HAVE ACCESS TO 5 FOLDERS IN EACH PROJECT I HAVE TO SELECT 125 DIFFERENT FOLDERS AND GRANT ACCESS TO EACH ONE. THIS IS RIDICULOUS AND YOUR USERS HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR A SOLUTION FOR THIS ISSUE FOR OVER 3 YEARS NOW!!!! COME ON EGNYE!

Vigilante

I second this. We have a group of uses that have Viewer access for every folder, but certain subfolders they need Editor. It is a pain to click each folder individually to change their permission.

Hi

Is there a way to assign permissions to folders at a bulk level? We have had an issue with some accidental drag-and-drop and deletion of important common folders and I wish to set read-only permissions for the higher level folders and editor etc permissions for lowere level folders.

It is rather painful doing this folder by folder through the web interface as the "read only" setting at high level needs to be undone at the lower levels, and we have a great many folders with a fairly flat structure (i.e. hundreds of folders at the third level in).

Is there a way to set permissions for a group of folders in one go?

Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi Tim,

This is definitely possible through our Public APIs. Please contact api-support@egnyte.com for more details.

Thanks,
Shyam