cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification Request: Web UI

Notification Request: Web UI

0 Votes

Originally from ticket #104659.

When opening a file it would be great to know immediately if the file is already opened by somebody else. So it should say open as Read Only or Notify person who is editing the file.

The only way I was told now to know if the file is open is to Hit Save when you open it before you do any editing. This is very cumbersome to have to do this. Would be much better to have the Notification popup and inform the user.

4 Comments
Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Hi Craig,

You're correct in that we don't have a notification that will always appear when a user opens a file that is currently in use by another user. However, we do have a locking/unlocking mechanism that can alleviate this problem. There's an article on our help desk  about the subject that you may want to circulate among your organization.

That said, I can see how an automatic notification would be useful, and I will make sure your feedback gets into our future feature discussions.

Thanks for your business,

Trey

Hello Trey,

I don't want to have my employees use the web interface.  What is the best way to lock a file via the mapped drive?

CR

Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Hi Craig,

Map Drive automatically locks files when an employee opens one, and unlocks it after the file is closed. A second user who attempts to open the file while the first has it opened should receive a "File Locked" error message that only allows them to view the file in read only mode. Please let me know if this is not the case and we'll get the support team to follow up with you.

Trey

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Delivered