cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permissions on Private folders

Permissions on Private folders

It would be great if individual power users can grant permissions to their private file folders to other power users within the domain organization.
Currently power users can only send links and attachments to file and folders within their private folder, and the recipient power users who receive these links can not have these files and folders listed in their accessed folders tree in Egnyte. They have to go to the link again and again if they need to access the file that is being shared with them.

15 Comments
Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Hi Imran,

I understand the need to sometimes store content in your private folder first (I do this myself when a report or article I'm working on is still a WIP).

But if the content is ready to share and you want other users to see it, why not put it in a shared area at that point? That's what the shared area is for, after all.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Shyam

Imran Khan
Resident

Hi Shyam,
Thanks for you reply. The point I was trying to make is that a power user may want to share his/her work to may be only selected users, and not to all users whiten a domain. If that power user moves the file to a shared section, then that person is automatically sharing the file with all the users that admin had setup for the folder above. In order for the power user to be able to make sharing permission in that sharing section is for me (admin) to give them higher permission on the top level folder, which I don't want to. What If I only want them to have read and write permissions in shared sections?

Retired Employee

Hi Imran,

Thanks for explaining, I see where you're coming from. I'll share your feedback with our team.

To give you some context, allowing permissions for private folders is actually something we're currently investigating. I can't make any promises at this point, but you should know that we are exploring the idea.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Regards,
Shyam

Michael Plant
Vigilante

I would add my +1 to this feature.

Yes, when it's ready to share, the content should be moved to the main shared area. However, some content needs to be kept off the main share whilst it's being compiled, and this is usually in collaboration with some other users. It'd be great to be able to keep this in the Private Share, where I can control my own permissions, before it's moved to the main share where permission control isn't available.

Retired Employee

Hi Michael,

At this point, we don't have any immediate plans to allow permissions for private folders, but I will share your feedback with our product team and add you as a +1 for this.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Shyam

Nathan Kehoe
Resident

I would add my +1 to this feature.

Sometimes there are things you would like to lock down that even Administrators should not be able to see and out of the Box Admins get to see all Private folder content. I would think being able to audit the folder/files in Reports for activity is fine but being able to protect the content of the file can be very important.

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hello Nathan,

Thank you for writing to us and voting for feature request. This is watched by the Product Team and I hope that they think and implement this feature sooner. 

Regards

Sagar.

Aaron Froberg
Resident

As an admin I would like to be able to assign permissions to private folders to managers for employees that have left the company.  Often times employees store important department information in their private folder and when they leave we want to grant their manager access to review the data and move any useful work files over to a shared department folder.  The IT team should not be the ones looking through this data and manually moving it as they do not know what files are important and what can be deleted.

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for writing to us. I will add you as a +1 for this. 

In the meantime, you can always make the managers as administrators (if required) so that they gain access to the user's Private folders. If that does not look feasible, any admin can simply move the data from the user (who is no longer with the company) private folder to a common location under Shared and have their managers browse through the folder to look for important and required files/folders.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Sagar.

Sam Birnbaum
Resident

I agree. There are reasons why someone would not want to give full Administrator access yet allow their colleague  to access private folders. This feature should be implemented if it is not yet there.