Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play files in Web browser from Egnyte

Play files in Web browser from Egnyte

0 Votes

Originally from ticket #100073.

Hi,

I signed-up for a free trial of Egnite under the email address of support@bluestreaklearning.com. We currently use Dropbox and are looking for an alternative. We are an eLearning company and build a lot of multimedia.

With our Dropbox account, we can send out a link to a client. If the link is to an mp3, mp4, or html file, then when the user clicks on the link, the file will play in their Web browser. When I do the same thing with Egnite, the only option I have is to download the file to my hard drive. Is there anyway to get the file to play from the a link I send out?

This is part of our client review process. Several of our clients have trouble using Dropbox for uploads and downloads, but they can click on a link and play a file in their browser. Their IT infrastructure blocks uploading or downloading media files, especially larger ones.

Let me know if playing a file from a link is possible and how to do it in Egnite.

6 Comments
Chris34
Resident

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your question.  Egnyte allows for sharing links but not playing MP3/MP4s through the web browser.  Our focus is ultimately on the ease and security of sharing business files, and our primary differentiators to other services are features such as Mapped Drive, Mobile apps, and granular subfolder access.  Here are some articles you can use for reference: 

Convenience: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/entries/83424

Security: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/entries/21652247

As you proceed through the review process, please let me know if I can help you with any other questions!

Best, Chris

Chris34
Resident

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you again for highlighting your request.  I spoke further with our engineering team, and we are currently implementing the ability to send links to MP3s and MP4s which will play directly through the web browser without download.  Please let me know whether this feature meets your company's needs.

Best, Chris

Chris

I have a similar problem. We have a Wiki website that has links to company data - previously to a NAS drive locally. I cannot seem to find the syntax to change those links to our new Egnyte cloud. Can this be done?

Phil

Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Hi Phil,

This is not something that's possible with the product today, though we have explored implementing it and may do so in the future. 

Thanks for choosing Egnyte,

Trey

Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

We don't offer video streaming from file links, but we do allow you to preview audio and video files from the Web UI. You could invite your collaborators to your account as Standard Users, and then they could view the files without having to download them.

Hope this helps!

Trey

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Delivered