cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preview .MOV and other video formats in the Web UI

Preview .MOV and other video formats in the Web UI

Box and Dropbox do this for .MOV files and it has really helped our Creative Team share movie files with our vendors, factories and customers.   Really disappointment that Egnyte does not allow you to play the video file from the website the way the other competing products do.

Hoping this is a feature you are working on adding soon.  Thank you!

31 Comments
Resident

It would be great if my users could view mpeg files directly on the egnyte website in an embedded media player. Thanks!

Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi Lara,

Thank you for the suggestion! At the moment we are not planning on adding this feature. However, I will pass it on to our products team and let you know if they decide to add it to our product. Please let me know if you have any further questions or suggestions and have a good day!

Emily

Resident

Originally from ticket #124491.

Hi,

I am curious if you have the functionality to preview video file types through the web interface on Egnyte? We used to be BOX members, and they allowed video previewing which considerably saved a lot of time when sharing video files with colleagues. If this is not a capability now, is it on your short term roadmap any time soon?

Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi Lou,

We don't have a video preview capability yet (we support these files), but it's something we want to offer. It's on the roadmap, but I don't have an ETA. I will add your comment as a +1 for this feature.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

Trey

Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Here's an update for Lou or anyone else following this forum: we now support the preview of audio and video files from our Web UI. 

Thanks for choosing Egnyte,

Trey

Resident

Trey, thanks for the update. I did notice that I could preview a .mp3, but not the .avi and .wmv files my client has saved on Egnyte.

Being able to preview these would be a nice capability, and mitigate some of the need to have the files synced locally.

Thanks,

Steve

Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi Steve,

Your wmv's should work with the video previewer. Can you file a support ticket?

Trey

Resident

Hi Trey, 

Thanks for getting back to me about this. But I have tried this as well with .mov files and no luck. When I click on them it asks me to download it, and I don't see any option to preview. Am I doing something wrong? 

Let me know, 

Lou 

Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi Lou, can you confirm that you are using the Simple UI and that you are selecting the Preview option from the sidebar?

• Trey

Resident

Hello Trey,

Thought I would add what I have found.  It recognizes a .mov file as a video file but preview is not available in the sidebar. 

In addition, is there a published list of audio and video files that you can preview in Egnyte.  The current list of available file type has not been updated.

Regards,

Scott