cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provide an option to open office 365 documents only in office online

Provide an option to open office 365 documents only in office online

0 Kudos

Wish there was a way to designate or force an Egnyte stored Office 365 document to only open in Office Online or only open in the desktop software, this is a basic option in SharePoint stored documents, the purpose for this is to hermatically limit the abillity of users to lock a specific document (forcing real time collaboration). Can save us a lot of headaches when users lock document by mistake because they opened the document in their Office desktop software.

This is already discussed below but the fact that SharePoint have this feature is the only reason we keep SharePoint at all,in Egnyte users in the online portal keeps locking collaborative work no matter how many time we asked to only use 'Edit in Office Online'.

We resort to keep most of our real time collaborative project files in a SharePoint even though 95% of our files are with Egnyte.

https://community.egnyte.com/t5/Ideas/Limited-Document-Editing-to-Office-Online-Only/idi-p/7732 

Tags (1)
6 Comments
Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Declined

Thanks for the feedback, @IT Team4.  Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't provide APIs to 3rd parties (e.g. Egnyte) that would allow for doing collaborative editing with the desktop versions of Microsoft Office, they reserve this functionality only for SharePoint.

Because of this, it is unlikely that we would offer such a solution since the vast majority of Office file editing at Egnyte is done with our desktop applications and it would be too restrictive to limit this to only Office Online.

IT Team4
Vigilante

Not sure you understood, you already have the 'open using . .' in the preview of documents, this an option provided, all I am asking is to have the ability to provide only one option for editing on selected files or the ability to mask the option for desktop so the only way of editing is using the browser.

IT Team4
Vigilante

I wasn't asking for an option to have collaborative editing using the desktop apps.

As collaborative editing is already supported by Office Online, all we are asking is a way of not showing the 'edit in desktop' option, this leaves by default only the option to edit online and so force users to do collaborative editing providef by Office online out of the box (scuse the pun) :)

Community Manager

@IT Team4 - I see.  If you don't want "Edit in Desktop" to show up in general (since it is primarily used for Office documents), you can also choose to disable WebEdit in Settings -> Configuration -> Applications and then the option won't show up.  

IT Team4
Vigilante

Hi, 

What I mean is to have the ability of a file/folder author/creator/controller to hide 'edit in desktop' per file, blanket disabling Web Edit for everyone will not work as the majorety of cases (as you said) is to call on the desktop apps.

It's for files where real time collaborative working on a file with a gurentee that no locking can happen that is what I mean. In our company its about 15 to 20% of the documents (which we currently have to keep in SharePoint for that exact reason). 

If you have this option to hide 'edit in desktop' per document (like you have for example the option to comment per file) it can save us a lot of time plus we can always keep the amount of unnecessary extra copies to a minimum due to people creating these when they have a document locked.

A typical scenario will be for a project file to be sent as a shared link to a project team, they all want to start work on it at the same time but cannot because one of them opened it locally. What people do is not raise their hand and stop editing but download a copy, edit it, save it under a slightly different name and then someone has to merge all these changes to the master copy. The problem is acute with OneNote files for example which is why we never store these in Egnyte. 

Community Manager

Thanks for giving more context, @IT Team4.  We'll consider this, but it would definitely help to hear from other members of the community who might be interested in this since I haven't heard this request from others.