cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read Access Only

Read Access Only

I want to be able to grant READ access only WITHOUT the ability for the read to download or print.

12 Comments
Resident

I AGREE I HAVE SOME FILES THAT SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO BE DOWNLOADED OR PRINTED. IS THIS AN OPTION OR A FEATURE AND IF NOT IS IT IN THE PLANS TO DO ENABLE THIS FEATURE

Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi,

This is not an option on Egnyte right now. Even if the user has read-only permission on the folder, he/she will still be able to preview the file and download. They just cannot make changes to the online version of that file. 

I will pass this on to the product team and see if there are any immediate plans to implement this. 

Regards

Sagar.

Resident

I agree that I would like this option under the Folder permissions section but as a workaround you can use the "Share" option which has the option to prevent downloading files (you can only view the preview).

Not the best solution I agree and I really think the Share and Folder Management functions need to be combined into one pane of glass. I have so many internal staff using the Share button to share files with other internal staff when they should be using the Folder management section to add someone to the folder. The difference is confusing to non-technical people who don't quite understand the difference.

I would say it actually decreases security because the ability to make a mistake increases. 

Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Thank you for your suggestions Craig. I agree your workaround will be help while sharing files with extenal collaborators.

However, it would only allow the admin to stop the file from being downloaded when a link is shared. This would not suit if the user is an Egnyte user and already has read-only permissions to any folder. 

Regards

Sagar.

Resident

I've recently signed up for Egnyte for its reputation of having solid institutional grade security capabilities.  

However, ensuring an Egnyte user (with folder permission) is NOT ABLE to download a file or folder is making me rethink choosing Egnyte.  

As it currently stands, a user could casually be using their friend's/aunty/uncle/random stranger's machine, login to their Egnyte account and download company files to that machine....all of Egnyte's thoughtfulness, millions of lines of code to build a sophisticated security platform are ALL OUT THE WINDOW.

Could you advise if this feature of completely disabling downloading of files (not just shared files.... we've disabled sharing files in any case) will be introduced? A timeline would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Nilesh,

I believe you also have a separate thread open about this feature request. This is not on the short-term road map as Egnyte enters the new year. But I sure will check with my Product team to see if there is a time-line I can provide you with. 

Regards

Sagar.

Resident

This also seems like a real vulnerability to me. The preview-only link option does not protect us from the case that Nilesh mentions. For us to feel safe with our secure documents, it seems that either: 1) there needs to be a permission level option where downloading is not allowed (currently every level allows this function; or 2) even better, it would be great if we had a simple check box option to remove download capability for certain users or specific folders (without affecting other permissions). This solution would solve each of the problems that have been reported on various threads that have expressed a desire to somehow limit the download option. I'll add one specific use example... There are some files that we want people to be able to view and edit, but not download. Currently, even with the preview-only link, this functionality can not be achieved (as far as I can tell). Giving administrators or Owners the ability to disallow downloads for folders and/or users would solve this problem since someone could be given "editor" privileges, but still wouldn't be able to download. 

Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi Casey,

I agree with you. Egnyte Solution is not a complete read-only solution as of now. Things are under work, but with no definite ETA. I will add you as a + 1 for this feature.

Thank you for writing to us. 

Thanks

Sagar.

I found several support threads where your users have brought up this issue before. The first thread began in 2012. Since I am a brand new customer and I see that your company has not addressed something for over 5 years - it makes me doubt your product. Is Egnyte paying attention to their user base?

Vigilante

Hi, Any update on when view only access might be available? Currently, we are licensing additional software because Egnyte does not support this feature. It would be very useful for us if you did.

Thank you!