cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real Time Sync Between Hours

Real Time Sync Between Hours

0 Kudos

Because of the threat of ransomware infections, I'm not comfortable hoping that Egnyte will stop syncing in time to prevent major disruption. When dealing with millions of files, restoring them via previous version is not an option. As stated in the Egnyte article I read, a revert process is available, but that may take 2-3 days -- unacceptable for a large organization.

I've been using Veeam Backup & Restore to back up our VMware virtual appliance each night, but apparently it's been causing problems. We've had multiple instances (about six within one year) where the Egnyte file index got corrupted, causing a rebuild of the virtual appliance. Different Egnyte techs have suggested that Veeam may be causing this, since the sync process runs continuously through the night. I've been told that a sync cannot be running while a backup is being taken. However, I have no way of stopping the sync just in the evenings.

What I'd like to see is an additional sync option that allows me to set real time syncing to occur only between a specified time range throughout the day and is then not syncing outside of that range.

I believe this would allow me and others to continue using Veeam to backup the virtual appliance without database corruption.

Thank you,

Tom Greendyk

Tags (2)
6 Comments
Employee Ed Tseng1
Employee
Status changed to: Considering

Thanks for the feedback Tom.  This is a valid concern and makes sense that we would offer both a real-time sync schedule between certain times as well as a manual schedule between certain times (or no syncing during this schedule).  We'll add this to our list.

Employee Ed Tseng1
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi Tom,  We also have a sync schedule that allows for syncing during a start and end time.  Will that specific sync schedule resolve your request?

tgreendyk
Vigilante

Hello,

That sounds good. Is this a new feature? The last time I looked there was only an option to sync ONCE between a start and end time. If I can enable real time syncing between a start and end time that would be perfect.

Thank you,

Tom

tgreendyk
Vigilante

There is also the option currently to sync every X minutes, which is not desirable in this situation because then it would still be running in the evening hours when I'd be running a backup.

Employee Ed Tseng1
Employee
Status changed to: Considering

Ok - understood.  You are correct in that the current schedule allows for one sync during the sync window schedule.  Thanks again for the feedback Tom.

aa
Vigilante

We use veeam to backup our appliances with no issues. 

I think the key is that we use storage integration and use storage snapshots so their is no impact on the VM. Non storage snapshots will pause the VM and I suspect cause issues.