cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request a file

Request a file

A feature I would like to see is the ability to request a file from someone else. For example if a subcontractor has a file too big to email and isn't on Egnyte, I would to be able to give them a temporary link where they can go and upload a file without logging in.

12 Comments
Chris34
Resident

Hi Bishop,

Thanks for your request.  We are currently looking into additional ways to transfer files to Egnyte.

Brad Bodily
Resident

ShareFile has this feature and has been a huge advantage.  This feature is making it difficult for me to keep users on the Egnyte path instead of Sharefile, who now has a similar enterprise offering to Egnyte.

Chris34
Resident

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your request.  I've passed it to our Product Managers for consideration into future updates.

One great enhancement that we're looking into is the ability to create standard users with permission to upload files into a folder but without the ability to see or download any files in that folder.   This gives you the ability to setup accounts for outside clients who can then log in easily to the folder and upload files without seeing or accessing any other files in Egnyte.

Chris

I am also evaluating Egnite and ShareFile and this is a key point for me too. I have already had success with ShareFile in requesting others to upload files to me without creating users or any other time commitment. I would just send them a link then they would upload their file to my dropbox. The only thing that was kind of wonky with ShareFile was that the recipient of my request had to "sign in" using an email and making up a password. It was for tracking purposes but it was confusing for the other party because they thought they already needed a user and pass but they really didn't.

Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Hi,

We're working on a write-only user role that will partially address your needs. It sounds like what you are asking for is a true, anonymous drop-box feature that doesn't require the user to register with the service, but allows them to deposit files. We've been thinking about how to do something like this without it turning into an unmanageable spam-box. Please stay tuned for future releases.

Thanks for considering Egnyte,

Trey

Any progress on this? We just transitioned from Sharefile, and while Egnyte has been a huge improvement in many ways, not having a "request a file" feature is a big drawback. Please let me know.

-Chris

Dave Schiff
Resident

DItto the comment from Chris above.   Egnyte is missing a critical feature if we cannot easily send out a "request a file" email linked to an Egnyte folder.

Andrew Weiman
Resident

Request a file is a great feature of sharefile - please add...

Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Hi all,

I'm familiar with the "request a file" feature used by competing products and agree that can be quite useful. I will add three votes for this to our feature backlog.

@Christopher: what were the pain points that caused you to switch from Sharefile?

Thanks for choosing Egnyte!

Trey

IT Admin40
Resident

Has the Request A File feature been added yet?