cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate Photos in WebUI

Rotate Photos in WebUI

0 Votes

I would be nice to be able to rotate photos in the WebUI.  It's one more feature to help the WebUI come closer to Windows Explorer functionality.  

5 Comments
Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Needs Info

@ITPro, we've been looking at implementing an image rotate feature (and one for PDFs too).  I'm interested in hearing whether you (and others in the community) would want a feature like that to save the changes to the file automatically, give an option to save it after rotation, or not save it.

ITPro
Recruit

Hi Greg,

Our preference would be that if the user has permissions to modify the file, then it should save the rotation change.  I believe this is the most intuitive for the user and something that they would expect to happen automaticaly if they made that change.  

ITPro
Recruit

does that answer your qeustion?  Do you need any additional information?

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager

Sorry for the long-delayed response, @ITPro .  Somehow I missed it before.  It does answer the question.

The challenge we've been looking at for this is whether we can losslessly rotate all files.  To do it just in preview is straightforward, but we support a wide variety of image formats, and may not be able to rotate all of those.  Also, some formats have internal metadata indicating the rotation, so we'd need to potentially update that metadata while keeping the rest the same.

Because of this, it is likely that our first step for this feature will be to do it just in preview without saving it.

Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee
Status changed to: Considering