cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Permissions via Folder name

Set Permissions via Folder name

0 Votes

We work on multiple projects that contain the same folder structure however we would like to be able to "hide" certain sub-folders from some users while allowing them access to the rest. Before switching to Egnyte we used a mixed solution that copied the desired files to another folder before uploading to the cloud.

Is it possible to add a feature that would check for a list of words defined by user then set permissions accordingly?

8 Comments
Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Hi Dane,

If you had a parent with ten subfolders, and you wanted to give a certain user access to only 4 of the 10, you could manually assign them access to those four. If I understand your suggestion correctly, you would want the ability to give that user access to the one parent, and for the system to automatically recognize that the user should get access to those four folders, based on key words, etc.?

Trey

Dane Laughlin
Resident

Hi Trey,

Yes that is correct. If we only had 10 or 20 different project folders manually assigning permissions wouldn't be such a problem. But we have a hundred or more folders.

I think the process would be something like: System scans folders periodically and recognises a regular expression and system checks/changes permissions accordingly. 

Retired Employee

OK Dane, thanks for checking back-in. I will bring this up with our engineering team and see what we can come up with in a future release.

Out of curiosity, what the was the name of the system you were using before Egnyte?

Dane Laughlin
Resident

Hi Trey,

Just wondering if there has been any progress on this.

We used a free app called DirSyncPro to create a duplicate directory with a set of rules to not copy the files and folders we do not want certain users to access. This is then uploaded to the cloud. 

I am looking at introducing this process with Egnyte as we are removing more of our paper-based information on our job sites and giving access on the ipads. However this means I will have a duplicates of the same files being uploaded to the cloud. 

If Egnyte had this ability it would make things a bit easier

Retired Employee

Hi Dane,

Thanks for sharing your experience using Egnyte: these stories are useful for us when we're planning product enhancements. Unfortunately, the feature that you're looking for is not something that we are going to pursue in the near-term roadmap, but we are publishing APIs that could allow an external system to automate the assignment of folder permissions in the way that you describe.

Thanks for your patience and for choosing Egnyte,

Trey

Rodney McCoy
Resident

So, I have over 25 project teams. Each Project has a folder. Each folder has 20 or sub folders with sub folders under those. I need to give permissions to certain 2nd level subfolders to some users/groups and different ones to others.

IT IS A COMPLETE AND TOTAL PAIN AND TIME KILLER TO HAVE TO SELECT EACH FOLDER ONE BY ONE TO GIVE ACCESS. IF I NEED GROUP A TO HAVE ACCESS TO 5 FOLDERS IN EACH PROJECT I HAVE TO SELECT 125 DIFFERENT FOLDERS AND GRANT ACCESS TO EACH ONE. THIS IS RIDICULOUS AND YOUR USERS HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR A SOLUTION FOR THIS ISSUE FOR OVER 3 YEARS NOW!!!! COME ON EGNYE!

Matthew Travis
Resident

I'm having a bit of the same issue, have I missed it, or are we still waiting for a feature that would allow greater flexibility assigning/removing permissions?

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Declined

this is not currently planned