cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortcuts Alias to file or folder locations in a different location folder

Shortcuts Alias to file or folder locations in a different location folder

Hello,

We frequently have documents that are used by multiple groups. Because the groups generally stay in their group folders they often don't think to look for files and folders outside their group folder. For documents that apply to multiple groups it would be fantastic if we could create a shortcut in one folder that would point to files or folders in another location, similar to Windows and Mac shortcut or alias files.

I would imagine this function being added to the move/copy command, adding an option to create and alias in the new location instead of the move or copy.

Thanks!

69 Comments
Amy Cleary1
Resident

I manage different teams that need access to the same information but I don't want them all in the same folders. While I can control their permissions and I can create copies of the same files I would prefer to use an alias to one main file.

Is this possible on the egnyte server?

Thanks in advance!

Retired Employee Emily Ganz1
Retired Employee

Hi Amy,

Can you clarify the use case so we can better answer your question? Right now we don't have ways of creating file aliases, but if you can provide more details I can send your suggestion to our products team. Thank you and let me know if you have any further questions!

Best,

Emily

Amy Cleary1
Resident

Hi Emily-we have many customer guidelines documents that we use for many different project. Example, art specs, best practices, workflows...These are documents that we use over and over and like to distribute to our many vendors. Each vendor has access to their specific folder on our egnyte repository. But there are multiple copies of these documents across the repository, in each vendor's folder. So we're taking up space by duplicating the documents. It seems to be worthwhile to have the ability to create an alias of the file in a duplicate that into the vendor folders.

Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Amy

Aaron Sands
Resident

I'd like to know any update on this question - it looks like the posting was more than a year ago, and went unanswered.

We'd like to implement something similar to Amy's example. In particular we have reports that are generated and uploaded in a department's folder, and we'd like to have the means of creating an alias folder with organization-wide access for non-dept users to access certain reports, without duplicating the file and adding multiple places for posting and updating. Please post an update on Egnyte's capabilities to implement alias folders or otherwise prevent the need for multiple versions of the same document.

We'd like to do the same thing for our company's account. Having folder and file aliases would eliminate duplication and ensure consistency and fidelity.

At any given time, we have 100+ active projects, each with their own folders, containing numerous sub-folders and files. We maintain a separate set of folders for our proposals and contracts, and when a new project starts we end up having to copy a number of the files from the proposals and contracts folders to the new project folders. The problem is that contracts change over the years, and so we have to keep two sets of folders up to date, which relies on human effort, inevitably leading to errors.

Please provide an update on where this alias feature is at in terms of development timeline. Are you guys working on it? If so, when will it be released? Thanks.

Craig Chambers
Resident

It would be great if there was the ability to create a link to a file/folder inside "Folder A" to "Folder X" Sometimes you need a file or folder to exist in multiple locations. We do this all the time in Windows and when we had Box, it would be nice if Egnyte had this as well.

Bob Berryman
Resident

I second that as well.

Retired Employee Shyam Srinivasa
Retired Employee

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the feedback. This is not currently on our short term roadmap, but I've shared this with the product manager for our Web UI and will add you as a +1 for this.

Regards,
Shyam

Craig Chambers
Resident

Thanks

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Craig,

Thank you for writing to us. We currently do not have this feature online. The shortcuts/alias can work locally if created within our Desktop Sync application or the Storage Sync application.

However, the above functionality will not be possible on the web cloud.

Regards
Sagar.