cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortcuts Alias to file or folder locations in a different location folder

Shortcuts Alias to file or folder locations in a different location folder

Hello,

We frequently have documents that are used by multiple groups. Because the groups generally stay in their group folders they often don't think to look for files and folders outside their group folder. For documents that apply to multiple groups it would be fantastic if we could create a shortcut in one folder that would point to files or folders in another location, similar to Windows and Mac shortcut or alias files.

I would imagine this function being added to the move/copy command, adding an option to create and alias in the new location instead of the move or copy.

Thanks!

70 Comments
mark10
Vigilante

My company is looking for this feature as well. Quoting from Kelly Herbert above: "As mentioned above, it is very inefficient to attempt to keep multiple copies of the same document (necessary due to different permission levels) updated rather than using shortcuts like the native Windows file explorer."

This is a major issue for consistent file versions for our company.

Jensi Albright
Resident

Another vote for shortcuts access to folders even in online Egnyte access.  In my organization's egnyte, we have a graphics & website folder and within that we have a Photos folder.  Ideally all photos are categorized into folders here.  However, with so many different folders created in Photos, our Program Directors want to be able to shortcut quickly from their program folders to exactly where they need to be in Photos for their program activities for efficiency.

KevinDuffey
Deputy

Yes please!  A symlink style placement in one folder to another.

Marketing has the core deck, they copy it to the sales folder and maintain version in two places.  Instead, maintain in Marketing and Symlink to Sales!

Jwalkerjr
Vigilante
I too, would love to make an alias "shortcut" for my files on the desktop sync.

I'll add another use case for this feature request;

Working in the accountancy industry we have a lot of files for each of our clients. All organised in a certain structure with subfolders and metadata. To some of these folders we would like to grant access to our clients (as standard user). But adding the permission to every folder/ file will become almost to impossible to maintain in the long run.

Our idea is to create a folder named "public", give access to the client to this folder.

This folder would then contain all files that we want to share with our clients organised in folders and subfolders whereby this structure is actually a link of the original document so that files don't have to be duplicated.

Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee
Status changed to: New

Retired Employee

Retired Employee

milong
Steward

I agree. We would like this also. A training document or equipment list or document list that multiple people should have access to and is stored in a specific folder within different groups folder structure. Instead of copying the same document in multiple places (and then having to update each document when changes are made) there should be a way to have one document and put a link to that document in all of the other locations. When you make a change to the original document, all of the links get updated automatically with the latest information.

CenturyGroup
Steward

I add my vote to this feature request as well. We would like to be able to point to a file from more than one location to avoid duplication. Currently, existing tools do not allow for this.