cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortcuts Alias to file or folder locations in a different location folder

Shortcuts Alias to file or folder locations in a different location folder

Hello,

We frequently have documents that are used by multiple groups. Because the groups generally stay in their group folders they often don't think to look for files and folders outside their group folder. For documents that apply to multiple groups it would be fantastic if we could create a shortcut in one folder that would point to files or folders in another location, similar to Windows and Mac shortcut or alias files.

I would imagine this function being added to the move/copy command, adding an option to create and alias in the new location instead of the move or copy.

Thanks!

70 Comments
JR16
Resident

This would be incredibly useful in our application so please add another mention/vote to this feature. 

mwhitson
Civilian

We would like this as well.  In particular, we want to isolate files we intend to share with outside partners into a separate folder tree, and prohibit public links everywhere else.  Being able to have a shortcut/alias/symlink from a project's main working folder into the "External Sharing" tree would make it much easier to manage projects where some files are shared and others are internal.

JNAF
Resident

+1000 votes for this feature. I can do it on my desktop, why can't I do it in this server I'm paying so much for?

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Thank you for expressing your interest in this feature. Your votes certainly count.

Thanks.

ewilliams
Resident

+1000 here too!

Paulo Dayrit
Resident

Please consider this. +8 votes, we have others users that really like this. Thanks!

Portus Imaging
Civilian

I would like to emphatically vote to bring back the ability to create an alias.  It is SO helpful in our workflow and the removal of them has been disruptive.

Mike2B
Deputy

Our organization would really benefit from the ability to provide an alias or shortcut capability to link to files or folders in other locations in the Web UI and thus eliminate the the need for multiple copies that not only take up space but also create a nightmare when having to revise a file and having to update it in all the places where a copy is located.

I envision a solution such as there being a button/command in the left info pane (that opens when selecting a file or folder) named something like "Create Cross Link (or CrossReference)" which copies the direct link to that file or folder before offering a browser to select the location where the link will be "placed" (a browser just like the Move/Copy function provides) in the form of a different looking file or folder icon that is titled something like "CrossLink (or CrossReference) to X" where X would be the original file or folder name. Then when I select that "CrossLink to X" file or folder, it navigates via the direct link to the original file or folder obeying all the rules for access and permissions.

do
Vigilante

First appearing over 40 years ago, symbolic links and pseudo symbolic links (i.e MS Windows' shortcuts) are a typical mainstay feature of modern data storage operating systems around the world.

Egnyte's growing list of Cloud Storage Service Provider competitors commonly support this type of functionality in various ways.

This seemingly simple and repetitve request for adding classic symbolic link-like functionality to the base Egnyte Cloud service feature set was initially requested well over 8 years ago (‎02-25-2011).

In other words, Egnyte's users are not going to stop asking for it and expecting to see it implemented!

So.. Isn't it about time for some real action on this ancient feature request?

Pl1
Vigilante

I would like to include the functionality of links within the domain / file system.
This would have the advantage to place one file in the domain and share links to it in other folders: update at one file location is then followed by updates at all link location at the same time without any additional effort.
In general the function of links / aliases (Mac OS) is included in the standard operational systems like UNIX/Linux, Windows and Mac OS.
Under UNIX and Mac OS you can have to different kinds of links with slightly different behaviour.
The Wiki entry here give you a more comprehensive explanation of the link I have in mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ln_(Unix)