cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortcuts Alias to file or folder locations in a different location folder

Shortcuts Alias to file or folder locations in a different location folder

Hello,

We frequently have documents that are used by multiple groups. Because the groups generally stay in their group folders they often don't think to look for files and folders outside their group folder. For documents that apply to multiple groups it would be fantastic if we could create a shortcut in one folder that would point to files or folders in another location, similar to Windows and Mac shortcut or alias files.

I would imagine this function being added to the move/copy command, adding an option to create and alias in the new location instead of the move or copy.

Thanks!

69 Comments
Jacob Gardiner
Resident

I'd vote for this if we could :)

Andy Stafford
Resident

I have the same need, any update!

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Thank you for writing to us Andy. Honestly speaking, shortcuts on the web cloud is close to no. But since you have asked for it, I will still check with the relevant set of people and let you know. 

Hello
We have the same issue.
We want to rename top level folder.
But if we do, we loose all http link except link created by the shared tool from website.
And all sync via desktop app are failed.
Is there a option to create an alias with old folder name?
Thanks
Benedicte

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Benedicte,

If you are referring to renaming the Shared/Private folder, then this is not possible. Shared/Private are the default folders Egnyte comes with and it is like the heart of Egnyte File Server. 

Would you mind sending us an short example of what you are you trying in this scenario ?

Regards

Sagar.

Hello
So in my company we have the folder shared and after 3 folders , one 'it', second 'paris' and the last one 'London'. In each folder , there are subfolders etc....
Any users used desktop sync, others egnyte drive...
I tant to rename London by manchester.
If I do, all old link http://....London/... are broken and desktop sync doesn't work anymore.... except if it is possible to create an alias to forward all London to new folder named manchester.
Have you a solution for me.
Hope my wish is more clear for you.
Br
Benedicte

John Border
Resident

Some documents are relevant to multiple teams and for multiple subjects. It is inefficient to make copies of the same document in multiple folders. Rather, Egnyte should offer an internal link capability, as with the following fictitious example:

* The "Acme Project Estimation" file might relate to multiple folder areas: "National Sales Accounts", "Purchasing for Customers",  "Opportunity Estimates" etc. Each of the target folders have different persons assigned for permissions.

* SOLUTION: Save the file to one folder (for example, "Opportunity Estimates") and then (with the new capability) add links in the other folders that point to this document. An employee who has access to "Purchasing for Customers" but not to the "Opportunity Estimates" folder would still be able to access the document via the link.

This new feature will greatly reduce clutter and duplicate file dilemmas. 

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi John,

Thank you for writing to us. It looks interesting for a feature. But I will let our Product team decide on it.

I will forward this to the Product team as a feature request.

Regards

Sagar.

Han Wassink1
Resident

We would LOVE this feature.. We're having the exact same frustration here. of course, the 5TB is not the problem at all, but having to find and replace items in several folders is a pain... Nice one John, you have my vote!

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Thank you for supporting this with you vote Han. I will add you as +1 on this one.

Regards

Sagar.