cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for index based searches in Egnyte Drive

Support for index based searches in Egnyte Drive

When searching in Egnyte Drive it only allows you to search through the file names and not the contents of the file (indexed search). 

With a standard windows share you can accomplish this by indexing the folder on the server side then on the computer create a library and add the UNC path to that library. It doesnt work right now with Egnyte drive. 

FEATURE REQUEST!

22 Comments
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hello @Whitefield,

Like mentioned in reply to this post, to use spotlight search the disc has to be indexed. Only physically connected drives are automatically indexed on a MAC. If you want to index network drive you have to trigger it forcefully. This is an OS level challenge that we are facing to get this to work.

We will update this post if we are able to make any progress on this. 

Thanks.

ITPro
Recruit

Any update on the ETA for this?

John Wilde2
Vigilante

As the earlier post asked - is there an update on this? Having recently switched to OSX for work on Egnyte and find it a major shortcoming - maybe of the OS but certainly to Egnyte integration.

John

Employee Tri Hoang
Employee

Hi @John Wilde2,

We will implement our own cloud search in the Desktop App's UI. This feature will allow you to search for all Egnyte files that you have access to and open them right from your computer.

We understand that some users might prefer Spotlight search but like Sagar mentioned, there are limitations at the OS level to make Spotlight search works. We are exploring ways to enable Spotlight on drives mounted by Egnyte Connect Desktop App

John Wilde2
Vigilante

Thanks Tri,

Appreciate the problems with Spotlight. While a fix to this would be ideal - right now your solution of a search function within the desktop UI will work well for me. At present - I'm having to open up the web interface each time I need to search, and that is painful.

Look forward to the update. Do you have an ETA, just so I know when to next check?

Thanks

John

Employee Kash Uppuluri
Employee

Hi John,

For search - we're currently looking at implementing the feature described in the first half of 2019.

It will be full-text search driven from the cloud so indexing will not need to be generated or stored on user's machines.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks

- Kash

RealWorld
Vigilante

We have just started using Egnyte and also have suggested it to be rolled out in a client's Mac enviroment, however on discovering the lack of search within network drives it may be a non-starter. Can I get an update on whether there is a proposed built-in search facility coming to the Mac version of the Egnyte software any time soon? 

Jwalkerjr
Vigilante

Egnyte-- Please hurry with this feature. It appears that it was requested over 2 years ago! Thanks! 

Kim Isaksen1
Steward

Google File Streamer is indexed by Spotlight. I would think the technologyprincipals for both Egnyte Connect and Googles Filestreamer is somewhat similar, so If google can do it, I would think you can to. 

RealWorld
Vigilante

According to another post (https://community.egnyte.com/t5/Sharing-and-Collaboration/When-using-Desktop-Sync-on-Mac-Finder-sear...) this will be fixed in a release in the first half of 2019.