cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for index based searches in Egnyte Drive

Support for index based searches in Egnyte Drive

When searching in Egnyte Drive it only allows you to search through the file names and not the contents of the file (indexed search). 

With a standard windows share you can accomplish this by indexing the folder on the server side then on the computer create a library and add the UNC path to that library. It doesnt work right now with Egnyte drive. 

FEATURE REQUEST!

34 Comments
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Elliot,

Thank you for your suggestion. Let me look this up on my end and see if things are already in pace for it. If not, I will pass it on to the Product Team for sure. 

Regards

Sagar

Eric Zoromski
Resident

I am a heavy user of Egnyte drive on the mac. One of the shortcomings is the fact that because the files are not local there is no good way to search the remote Egnyte file store without logging into the web application. I don't want to use sync, too many files would be pulled to my local machine. Here are a couple of ideas:

1. Integrate a search of the file store into the menu bar application. It could search the store, and provide a link to open the local virtual folder that drive provides in the OS.

2. Somehow make Mac Spotlight search index the remote store and return results like it does for local files.

If I'm missing some functionality that does this already please let me know. It seems both spotlight and search within the folder structure of drives mounted by Egnyte drive do not work.

Thanks,

ez

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Ez,

Thank you for your ideas. I will make sure to pass them along to the Product Team. They might already have these things noted, but if not, this would be a great addition. 

Regards

Sagar. 

Radix Support1
Resident

I would also like a better search for Egnyte Drive. Our customer is complaining it takes very long to search.

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hello Radix Support,

Thank you for your vote on this feature request. Although there has not been an ETA on this one, I wold like to share some info I have on me. 

To use spotlight search the disc has to be indexed. Only physically connected drives are automatically indexed on a MAC. If you want to index network drive you have to trigger it forcefully. This is an OS level challenge that we are facing to get this to work.

We will make sure to let you know when we make any progress on this one. 

Thanks

Sagar

j_miller
Vigilante

Hey Sagar, was there ever a resolution for this?

Employee Tri Hoang
Employee

We have this feature in the roadmap. Full text search will be included in Egnyte Desktop App's UI.

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

We are planning on adding a search capability to the Desktop App - since the files aren't stored locally on the user's computer we can't use the built-in search of the operating system, so we'll be adding our own search interface that uses the same search technology as we have on the Web and Mobile apps.

ITPro
Recruit

I'm happy to hear this will be coming to Egnyte desktop app!  This will be a great addition!  Any update on ETA?

Whitefield
Vigilante

what is the update on this? Why can I not search the Egnyte connect folder in Finder. Ths is HUGE problem, perhaps enough for me to go back to Sharepoint!