cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag groups in file comments

Tag groups in file comments

Please allow Egnyte users to tag Egnyte groups in the comments section. It would be great if the group selection was filtered to groups that have a minimum Viewer permission.

12 Comments
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Chris,

Thank you for writing to us.

If I understand you correct, you are pointing to the fact that in the comments section you can direct the comment to an individual user using @abc, but the same is not possible for any groups coz the group names do not feature in the user list after @ sign. 

I will check with the Product Team to see if there are any reasons this has not been allowed or is this on the product roadmap.

Thanks

Sagar.

Andrew Rogers
Resident

What was the outcome here?

We wish to send comments to Security Groups as well.

This feature will permit us to run an internal blog on file changes.

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Andrew,

There is no word on this yet. I have followed up with the Product Team about this today and hope to hear from them. 

I will write back once I have an update available for you. 

Thanks

Sagar.

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hello Gentlemen,

I had a word with the Product Team.

This feature is already into consideration. However, there are some snags to overcome. There are a lot of potential issues with managing it. For example: if you don't have permission to the file and you're @mentioned in the group, do you still get the notification. Because we don't show you in the @mention if you don't have permissions. Doing this in groups makes it harder. We also don't see per file that many users being mentioned, so it'd be a small use case for kind of a big headache.

We have been monitoring this and have not seen much of multiple users being mentioned per file. Having said that, the feature is already noted with the Product Team. Once they are able to find a way to overcome the obstacles (as the one mentioned above), this feature will be released. 

Thanks

Sagar.

This is an issue for our company as well, particularly for our asset teams (for a hotel, for example) and third-party collaborators.

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

David,

We understand and thank you for writing to us on this one. This will put more weight on this feature request. 

Thanks

Sagar

This topic is also on the wish list of our employees.

Jesse Geiger
Vigilante

What's the update on this, this is a needed feature for us as well.

Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee
Status changed to: New

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Considering

Today we don't do this because there could be large numbers of users in a group (e.g. we have customers with tens of thousands of users in a group) and mentioning groups like that would result in tens of thousands of emails being sent.

If we implement a feature like this we'd need to restrict the size group that is allowed to be used in a mention.