cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server (Remote Server) Desktop Sync application

Windows Server (Remote Server) Desktop Sync application

0 Kudos

The Desktop sync is offically not supported on windows server, and latest versions do not allow installation on server.

Request a client which runs as a service under the local administrator or a account requested, which provides egnyte sync for server.

8 Comments
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hello,

The Desktop Sync is an app which is specifically designed only for Desktop OS. So this does not work well with the Server OS and also we do not support this setup. 

Instead, there are the VMware and Hyper-V flavors of the Storage Sync application. These are designed to work with the servers. 

You can look at the supported platforms from the following link: - 

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/218994347-Storage-Sync-Overview

I hope this helps. 

Thanks

Sagar

IT Manager4
Resident

Hi Sagar,

Have been using egnyte storage sync for a while now as well, it has some uses but also limitations.

Sadly some programs and files do not play well with network shares. Specifically accounting files and visual studio web development (2 examples we have come across). 

A RDS or server compatible desktop sync would resolve this. Even if its run under 1 user account. 

Currently its impossible to install desktop sync on a server OS due to it detecting the OS. So even if a single user logs into the server, you can still not use it.

Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hello,

Thank you for the update. I don't there is any such thing on the roadmap. Have you tried to see if the Egnyte Desktop App is something that would replace the Desktop Sync in your use case scenario?

Thanks

Sagar. 

IT Manager4
Resident

Hi Sagar,

Sadly the Desktop app has the same limitations as Storage Sync where the local user is presented a mapped network drive.

Desktop app does also not work if the user is not logged in as it requires the app to be running. It is also not accessible via most applications as a save or execution point as they dont recognize it as a drive. (case point Veeam endpoint protection)

Again would be nice if we could simply install desktop sync on a server OS.

Michael Schelig
Vigilante

So there is still no relatively easy way to just get some files from a server without installing an appliance? This is really not nice.  I've wasted so much time trying everything but that because I only need a one time transfer.  Can't even get drag and drop to Egnyte to work with Chrome or Firefox on 2012R2.  Now I get to waste another half of a day to install a VM appliance I don't need or spin up a VM Windows desktop machine.  Or kill bandwidth and bounce it through my desktop that is not sitting on 100/100.   

Egnyte gets the bread and butter right, but does nothing to preserve things that used to just work and were very helpful to Admin and I.T. personel.  

DimaB
Steward

You can try to intall latest Dectop Connect app on the remote server. Use an admin account to grant an access to Egnyte shares for users terminal sessions. You will be get ting errors on the server that the offline fueatures will not work, but it doesn't metter. The users willl be able to use drives. It works for me on me XenApp Win 2008 R2 envierement. Thanks

Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager
Status changed to: New

Employee Ed Tseng1
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

Another workaround might be to run the applications from a Windows Terminal Server, and then save the files to a Storage Sync to sync with the cloud.

Would this be a viable solution?