cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

allow renaming of files when working on desktop, and synchronise back to same folder

allow renaming of files when working on desktop, and synchronise back to same folder

0 Votes

If you click 'open on your desktop' in the online portal, then rename your file for date/versioning or other reason, the renamed file is (by default) saved in a very complex and mysterious temporary location, and appears to then be lost for good. This is a serious security and information management risk. 

How difficult would it be, if you don't change the file location, to upload the new version of the document in the same folder as the original?

8 Comments
Community Manager KathleenHunt
Community Manager
Status changed to: Delivered

Hello @antlerboy

The issue you are describing was resolved with the newest release for WebEdit (2.3.0). If the file is renamed or a file is accidentally saved to the temporary folder used by WebEdit, the files are moved to the Desktop, so they are not lost. They can then be moved into Egnyte as needed.

Additional improvements to this process may be released in the future. 

antlerboy
Steward

Thanks for the answer. As you note, this isn't precisely delivered - it's an emergency workaround which will allow an up-to-date admin to eventually help an end-user in crisis, but it doesn't actually delivery functionality, per se. I'm testing it and can't see the file appear on my desktop yet, so any idea how long it takes? What's really annoying is that the mystery location isn't stored in 'recent documents' in (in this case) PowerPoint.

I do note with interest that the other 'improvement' also rescues files that otherwise would be deleted by the system - two cases where valid files are deleted/lost does worry me a bit!

Automatically pause or resume uploads when the internet connection status changes: We made an improvement to detect network conditions to automatically pause uploads when there is no internet connection and resume uploads when the internet connection is back. This will ensure that files in the middle of an upload are not deleted after a certain amount of time without an internet connection.

Employee Tri Hoang
Employee

Hi @antlerboy,

Thanks for the feedback. There are some challenges with uploading the accidental "Save As" to the same location as the orginal but we will consider it for future releases. Here are the steps to test the improvement in 2.3.0 mentioned by Kathleen:

1. Pick a Powerpoint and click on "Edit on your desktop"
  2. Inside Powerpoint, click File - Save As
  3. Inside the Save As window, don't change the default location, enter a new name and click save
  4. Close Powerpoint
  5. WebEdit will scan for unexpected files and move the new file to Desktop App. You should see a OS notification when WebEdit does that. There might be a small waiting period.

In regard to the "mystery location", WebEdit will create a temp folder to store your file everytime you click on "Edit on your desktop". WebEdit will continously monitoring the temp folders for changes until we detect that the user have close the file for lockable files. 'Recents document' is unique to Office and because we have to deal with other file types, we can't use a location that is unique to certain applications. 

For Automatically pause or resume uploads when the internet connection status changes, just to confirm that your files in the middle of an upload will never be deleled. We will fix the release notes to reflect this. After many unsuccessfull upload attempts, WebEdit will move your files to the Desktop. In 2.3.0, WebEdit will detect special case like no internet connection so we will stop attempt to upload

Employee Tri Hoang
Employee

Hi @antlerboy,

Thanks for the feedback. There are some challenges with uploading the accidental "Save As" to the same location as the orginal but we will consider it for future releases. Here are the steps to test the improvement in 2.3.0 mentioned by Kathleen:

1. Pick a Powerpoint and click on "Edit on your desktop"
  2. Inside Powerpoint, click File - Save As
  3. Inside the Save As window, don't change the default location, enter a new name and click save
  4. Close Powerpoint
  5. WebEdit will scan for unexpected files and move the new file to Desktop. You should see a OS notification when WebEdit does that. There might be a small waiting period.

In regard to the "mystery location", WebEdit will create a temp folder to store your file everytime you click on "Edit on your desktop". WebEdit will continously monitoring the temp folders for changes until we detect that the user have close the file for lockable files. 'Recents document' is unique to Office and because we have to deal with other file types, we can't use a location that is unique to certain applications. 

For Automatically pause or resume uploads when the internet connection status changes, just to confirm that your files in the middle of an upload will never be deleled. We will fix the release notes to reflect this. After many unsuccessfull upload attempts, WebEdit will move your files to the Desktop. In 2.3.0, WebEdit will detect special case like no internet connection so we will stop any upload attempt and resume upload when internet connection back for a better user experience!

antlerboy
Steward

Thanks - the file I tested that on yesterday hasn't appeared on my laptop desktop - but now you say 'desktop app'. Where do I find files in the 'desktop app'? And what sort of 'OS notification' would I see? It has been over 24 hours now (and I have the most recent version of your software.

NB that any other file that I edit in MS Office does appear and is openable from 'recent documents', not sure why things from Egnyte are the exception?

Cheers

Benjamin

Employee Tri Hoang
Employee

@antlerboy: My bad, I meant to say "Desktop" not "Desktop App", which is a completely different application from WebEdit. I just retested that scenario multiple times and in all those cases, the "save as" file got moved to Desktop. The file should be stored on Desktop under this folder path:

Egnyte WebEdit Failed Uploads\<user@domain>\<path of the file>

I also attached the OS notification here:

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 2.45.35 PM.png

antlerboy
Steward

ok, thanks... 

well, now I'm confused.

I eventually found the file in 

C:\Users\Benjamin Taylor\Desktop\Egnyte WebEdit Failed Uploads\benjamin.taylor@redquadrant\Shared\From LD\Personal\Benjamin\folder name

(i.e. it *was* replicating the folder where it was *supposed* to be, that folder depth replication was just in a weird place)

However, what I don't understand is that the folder Egnyte WebEdit Failed Uploads is not visible on my actual desktop on my laptop, so for some reason that isn't the same folder as 

This PC / desktop

since I didn't see any popup, it would be hard to find such a lost document - but at least now I know how to find it if it happens again!

I'm desperately trying to avoid using the web portal so it's unlikely to happen again to me, but this seems like another wrinkle.

But, if it can save the file in 

C:\Users\Benjamin Taylor\Desktop\Egnyte WebEdit Failed Uploads\benjamin.taylor@redquadrant\Shared\From LD\Personal\Benjamin\folder name

Why can't it save it in 

Z:\Shared\From LD\Personal\Benjamin\folder name

which is the proper place for it in the first place?

antlerboy
Steward

ok, the answer to why the desktop you sent me to isn't actually my desktop is that our IT support people have already redirected my desktop to a private egnyte folder in order to allow offline access and backup.