cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do not end desktop sync

do not end desktop sync

Ending Desktop sync support is now causing me to rethink my entire IT Strategy. you say egnyte connect is as good as synce TBH it simply isn't it is unreliable and I would not trust it to perform a reliable sync. I will probably end up leaving egnyte as a result of this change and switching to an alternative supplier for file storage..

Tags (1)
15 Comments
Employee
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @Glenn Fox 

Desktop App uses the exact same sync engine and sync components as Desktop Sync. Besides syncing, Desktop App comes with a lot more capabilities than Deskop Sync. We believe the Desktop App offers a more versatile platform than Desktop Sync and have seen many customers successfully transition to using the Desktop App.

If you're seeing issues with the Desktop app, please reach out to your CSM and file a support ticket - someone from our product team will be ready to assist you during this transition.

Vigilante

But at the same time, we also lose some of the widely used features of the Desktop Sync are no longer available in the Desktop App :

Ability to tell the app where to store the offline files on the local workstation (store the files on a specific drive/folder)

Allow them to be edited directly in those folders, in stead of going via the "Z:" drive (too much delay every time)

The desktop App does not seem to be able to do that, so I cannot use it.

The ability to pause and/or schedule syncing (sometimes needed for technical reasons).

The connected folders feature does not seem to work for me, as I'm using Egnyte to keep a set of folders synced identically across several machines, which all need to be available offline.

It would be nice to have these features in the new app BEFORE ending support of the old app.

With all the respect for the work you have put in the new app, promising or having features on the roadmap is not a guarantee, and does not help users losing these options in the mean time.

Employee
Employee

@Glenn Fox @OLCE 

As you’ve heard, Egnyte will no longer support Desktop Sync as of December 31, 2019. We understand that change can be difficult. To help ease your concerns, we want you to know why this is happening, what to expect, and how to make a smooth transition to Desktop App. 

We're ending support for Desktop Sync because we have a better product available: the Desktop App. The Desktop App has most of the features that Desktop Sync offered, like Offline Access and Connected Folders. There is even added functionality like automatically locking open files when connected to the cloud to prevent conflicts. You can see a full comparison of the two products here. By consolidating on one desktop product, our teams can better focus their attention and efforts to better serve your needs. Currently, we’re working on bringing even more advanced features to the Desktop App in the coming months, so stay up-to-date on all our new releases by following the Updates section in the Helpdesk. 

When support officially ends, you will still be able to use Desktop Sync if you had previously installed it. However, we won’t release new features or bug fixes to it. For example, if Microsoft or Apple releases an Operating System update that isn't compatible with Desktop Sync, we will not release an update to resolve the issue.

To avoid possible disruptions and to make sure you have time to set up the Desktop App, we highly encourage you to make the transition from Desktop Sync to Desktop App before the end of support date. We've laid out simple steps in this article to help you through the process. If you have any trouble, please give our Support Team a call at 1-650-265-0500.

Thank you,

Kathleen

Vigilante

@KathleenHunt 

Respectfully responding you, regarding this part of your statement :

We're ending support for Desktop Sync because we have a better product available: the Desktop App. The Desktop App has most of the features that Desktop Sync offered, like Offline Access and Connected Folders. There is even added functionality like automatically locking open files when connected to the cloud to prevent conflicts.

It may be a better product for some people, but not for those who need to use a classic sync solution. Because as already stated by others, it is missing some key (and very wanted) features, like :

- the ability to easily pause sync

- granular folder tree selection for offline sync (the new app is less flexible in that then the old app (see here : Known limitations : https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000087212-Sync-for-Offline-Access-with-the-Desktop-...)

- the ability to easily specify the location where the offline files are stored (through the interface)

- the ability to work on the files without having to go through the "z:" drive (as there seems to be a significant delay when accessing the files through the Z: drive, even when stored offline)

In some situations, we need just the basic sync as what is present in the old app.

It would be nice to see the features which existed before in the old app (and are requested by your customers), to come to the new app, before new features (which may be much lower on the customers wishlist)

If transparency and ease of use is one of the reasons to block us from making those choices in the new app, maybe have an "advanced" interface for those who want more control over what the app is doing on their workstation.

I preferred Egnyte over Dropbox for years, because of the security of the product, and a lot of the features. But if one of the basic concepts changes, and if I'm unable to work directly on the offline files, and not being able to store the offline files in our structure (different drives), Egnyte no longer is the right product for our company and some of my customers.

I've setup a testworkstation, to see how the new app evolves. We'll have to see how far the new app will support these customer requirements before we have to renew our contract.

Vigilante

We agree with the comments on poor implimentation of App, the almost lost ability to choose in a clear interface the directories for off line access, loss of feedback of whats being synced and when in session logs does not help with GDPR (UK), this will revert us back...

Vigilante

I switched to Egnyte App, and it is very much inferior to Desktop Sync for our company.  The ability to set sync intervals other than real time would greatly improve the situation.  As it is, the Egnyte App is too slow to deal with the type of work that we do and it slows down our computers.  I will be searching for an alternate service provider once Desktop Sync becomes non-functional because of incompatability with Windows.      

Deputy

@OLCE  has clearly identifed the issues we, too, are running into:

- the ability to easily pause sync

- granular folder tree selection for offline sync (the new app is less flexible in that then the old app (see here : Known limitations : https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000087212-Sync-for-Offline-Access-with-the-Desktop-...)

- the ability to easily specify the location where the offline files are stored (through the interface)

- the ability to work on the files without having to go through the "z:" drive (as there seems to be a significant delay when accessing the files through the Z: drive, even when stored offline)

Unfortunately, DT App, with all its strengths, does not yet address core functionality that somem measurable portion of the user base has come to rely upon.  It would be helpful for Egnyte to consider the entire range of needs - which have developed based on the historically available functionality.  DT Sync originally served as a deciding factor in our adoption of the platform and may well become a consideration in whether or not we continue.

We ran into a similar situation some time ago when metadata definition features were abruptly eliminated as part of version transition.  Guess what, now metadata is being reintroduced - because a platform like Egnyte NEEDS user-defined metadata capabilities. We found ways to work around that change. The DT Sync to DT App change poses challenges that won't be as simple to work around.

It's unclear to me at this point whether DT App can actually fill the gap that will be left when DT Sync becomes obsolete. Please focus on @OLCE 's four line items.

Employee
Employee

Hello @OLCE@jr3@Matt Goodrich, and @BCP

Thank you for the information! We've heard your concerns and we're already working to implement some of the features you discussed. You can learn about these features and more here. Be sure you review this article often as we'll add additional information, like expected release dates, as we get closer. 

Thank you,

Kathleen

Our IT dpt. and I tested the Connect Desktop App in the past weeks and found several shortcomings, what make this new tool a NO GO for our company.

Hence we will stick to the existing Egnyte Desktop Sync tool which is running perfect for our application, even it will not be updated by Egnyte.

Generally, we probably understand, why Egnyte want to switch from Desktop sync to Connect, but many functions, which are available at the earlier desktop sync we don’t find at the Connect tool.

Installation of connect on D partition not possible

1. We didn’t find a way to store the offline data on another partition than C.
  2. In our case, notebooks and PCs are setup in this way, that the C drive has an image from the operating system and all the company related data should always be on D drive.
  3. Also the C partition is mostly not enough, to have all the data offline what are needed.

Handling of un-syncing of data at the egnyte connect tool

1. When we uninstall the connect app, synchronized content will remain somewhere on the disk of the machine and will not be removed from C. In case of Desktop sync app, it is very clear were the data is located on the disk.
  2. When we remove the egnyte drive or unsync any folder, any unsynchronized files will be moved to a folder on the desktop and still will fill up space on the C partition. In case of desktop sync, any folders what are clicked to unsync, will be deleted from the local disk of that machine.

Major settings for synchronisation missing

1. There are simply no settings possible for sync schedule, sync time window, sync frequency, sync speed limitation, to set the max. speed for upload, path / location of the data folder.

Display of folder tree

1. For displaying the directory of the Z drive when having slow internet connection, it will delay the preview, since a lot of data is downloaded for the preview. In case of Desktop sync, there is instant display of the folder tree possible, since only data what are locally stored at the local machine will be available to display in a folder tree.

Limitation on files handling at connect and synchronizing, which was already available at the DESKTOP SYNC app.

1. Moving content between folders marked for sync and folders that are not marked for sync is not possible allowed.
  2. The maximum number of files what can be sync for offline access is limited to 500,000 per machine. Currently we already have some users with more files synced by the desktop sync.
  3. When you remove your drive or unsync a folder, any unsynchronized files will be moved to a folder on your desktop.
  4. When you uninstall the app, synchronized content will remain somewhere on the disk and will not be removed from C. in case of Desktop sync app, it is very clear were the data is located on the disk.
  5. Can a virus scanner identify the file by name, in case the data are not stored as files?

Limitations on synchronisation

1. If we select a folder for sync, we cannot exclude any of its child folders from sync.
  2. If we select a sub-folder for sync and some sub-folder we don’t select in the same parent folder, it will not display the parent folder, that only some of the folders are synced.
  3. There is a green click icon on a synced folder, which is visiable in windows explorer. Mostly we use the much more powerful file handler called TOTAL COMMANDER from Germany. This tool was able to handle the icons in Desktops sync tool, but does not display the icon, if a files is offline available at the Total Commander file handler. So, unless the user is offline, it is not possible to identify if a file is offline available or not by using the Total Commander file handler.

Generally we find, that the Egnyte Connect tools behaves like WINDOWS OS 8 development – people were happy with WIN 7 and WIN 10, so can we wait for “your”  WIN 10?

Thanks to your third party software supplier, several really great developments have been implemented to DESKTOP SYNC over the past years, what made this tool so powerful, but now they are not anymore availabe and the Desktop APP looks like a tool for beginners.... Sorry to say, since I am a fan of Egnyte ;-)

Werner

hi,

Has there been any update on the Desktop Sync Tool development?

As I understand, the desktop sync tool will not be updated after Jan 2020.

but as long as major developments on the Desktop App will not be available, our company will not be able to deploy Desktop App.

I appreciate your update :-)