cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"View as User" option for Security Audits

"View as User" option for Security Audits

Hi Trey - hope you guys are cool with me continuing to spout ideas; I figure it can't hurt...

How about a "View as User" option, where an admin can explore our Egnyte file structure, literally seeing exactly what that user would see? There would be no need for the ability to edit, of course, and maybe clicking on any files could display the permissions the user has with that file.

We've got a complex directory structure and an increasing number of users and groups. As security is a massive concern, it's important for us to be able to do security audits on a regular basis, and I think this would be a very revealing way to see just what a user can see, in a way a report never really could. I also can't imagine it would take all that much work as you would basically just be reusing the interface in a shell, with an editing block to keep us from editing as a user.

Alright, that's it. Glad we had this little chat.

Tags (2)
5 Comments
Scott Page1
Resident

I would love to see this implemented!!  The current reporting leaves much to be desired.

Retired Employee Trey Howard1
Retired Employee

Hey Will,

Thanks for your comments; they are always appreciated. We are currently redesigning the Users and Groups page; the new screen will give you some new views and controls for managing user permissions. I can't go into the enhancements in detail, but I think they will make the life of the Egnyte admin a lot easier.

Trey

Steve Francis
Resident

This would be a great feature - is there any news as to whether it will be implemented?

Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager
Status changed to: New

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Delivered

This is currently available via both Egnyte Protect's Permissions Navigator as well as via the Connect Public API with impersonation