cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transfer links & content

transfer links & content

when you delete a user, you should have an option to transfer all active/shared links to another user in the company so those links remain active. in addition, you should also be have to chose where you want the deleted users content (private folder) to be stored, for archive reasons.

Tags (2)
6 Comments
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for writing to us. I will pass on your suggestions to our Product Team for review. 

Currently we do have a folder under Shared which is named with a specific name to be identified by the Admins. It is named as" Files from Deleted Users". Content from the Private folders of the deleted user gets restored at this location. Any ways the content in the Shared folder remains unaffected even if the user is deleted. 

Thanks

Sagar.

I agree. When I delete a user not only do I need to be able to provide a disposition of their file content, but also the links. There shoul dbe a database operation offered to "delete" or "reassign" the links to another user without deleting them so the user can be removed and without having to send new links to relevant files manually.

Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager
Status changed to: New

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Needs Info

I have a few questions for those of you who are interested in this functionality, specifically for links:

1. Would you want the links for contents in the user's private folder to be maintained? If so, this would require moving the contents of those files (or the entire private folder) to the receiving user
  2. If you want to transfer links to links in Shared folders, it is possible that the receiving user doesn't have permissions to the folders in which the links exist.  How would you want that to be handled?

1. I think maintaining the links should be maintained. I think the former user's folder should be moved "under (nested) under the new "owner".

2. I think the existing links should be maintained wherever the files are. Period. If someone else is assuming the former users role it might mean those links don't "work" for the new owner and should not affect the recipients. The new owner should be able to expire any of those links and should there be a permissions issue with the files it should be an internal admin issue.

Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager
Status changed to: Considering

I'll mark this as considering, but on the topic of shared folders and permissions, we cannot support a case where a link is owned by a user who doesn't have access to the content because that opens up big security issues.  Links use the permissions of the owner to determine what can be seen.

If you would want all links to be maintained regardless of permissions you'd need to assign them to an administrator or someone with permissions to all the folders.