Did you mean: 

ELC folder access denied

Highlighted
Dxwire-01
Vigilante

ELC folder access denied

Jump to solution

We have an Egnyte on Ready NAS. 

Local users are able to view the main ELC shared folder.

But upon clicking the ELC, it says "Access Denied" or either the ELC folder can be accessed but it's empty.

The sub folders are hidden.

What is the security settings that can be done to allow domain users?

Admin is able to access the ELC folder without any issues.

If we create a folder outside the ELC folder users has no problem accessing the shared folder only the Egnyte ELC folder can't be accessed.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: ELC folder access denied

Jump to solution

Hello @Dxwire-01,

Thank you for reaching out to the ocmmunity.

Once you've installed Storage Sync for NETGEAR and completed the initial synchronization, individual employees can map a drive from their computer to Storage Sync on your NAS via the following.

For PC users: Open My Computer, and click on menu item Tools > Map Network Drive. The folder name to be used is \\NAS-IP-ADDRESS\ELC

For Mac users: Open Finder, and click on menu item Go > Connect To Server. The location to be used is smb://NAS-IP-ADDRESS/ELC

For the users to access the drives, the local/AD users need to be mapped to the cloud users. We suggest you check this first. Also if you have users using the AVG antivirus, then they may experience errors when accessing shares. Within the admin console, exceptions will need to be added for the ELC, Private, and Shared locations.

If any of the above does not work, please file a ticket with our support team at support@egnyte.com and our technician would love to assist you with this. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
4 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @Dxwire-01,

Thank you for reaching out to the ocmmunity.

Once you've installed Storage Sync for NETGEAR and completed the initial synchronization, individual employees can map a drive from their computer to Storage Sync on your NAS via the following.

For PC users: Open My Computer, and click on menu item Tools > Map Network Drive. The folder name to be used is \\NAS-IP-ADDRESS\ELC

For Mac users: Open Finder, and click on menu item Go > Connect To Server. The location to be used is smb://NAS-IP-ADDRESS/ELC

For the users to access the drives, the local/AD users need to be mapped to the cloud users. We suggest you check this first. Also if you have users using the AVG antivirus, then they may experience errors when accessing shares. Within the admin console, exceptions will need to be added for the ELC, Private, and Shared locations.

If any of the above does not work, please file a ticket with our support team at support@egnyte.com and our technician would love to assist you with this. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
Dxwire-01
Vigilante

Jump to solution

Hi Sagar, 

It's resolved already one of the Egnyte support has connected remotely and found out that indeed there was no permissions given on the cloud.

I have no way of knowing that the users were not given permissions when accessing on the local cloud.

It would have been better if there was a warning on the local cloud, something like: "You need to check cloud permissions, users might not be able to access local folder."

Anyway, I know what to do next time. Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @Dxwire-01,

Thank you for writing back with an update. I am glad that the issue has been resolved now. 

This point is mentioned in the 'Considerations' section of the installation guide. However, I do understand your point. If a person who has not set this up, will have to be notified about this some how. 

Thank you for feedback. This helps us better our product and make it more comfortable for use.

0 Kudos
Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi @Dxwire-01, I just wanted to follow up with you regarding your suggestion to add a warning message prompt. I brought this up to our product team and apparently they wouldn't be able to add this feature for this exact scenario since it's dealing with multiple systems that are set up differently between customers and therefore it wouldn't be a standardized response for every scenario. There's also not a built-in feedback loop between systems letting the system know whether or not the person was accessing the appropriate folder, it only works in one direction. 

There would also be a small security component to it since we don't currently have a way to let end users know which permissions to which folders they have; end users only know the permissions they do have, not those they don't

Thank you for the suggestion though; it was good for us to look into. I'm glad you've ultimately figured out how to accomplish it in the future. 

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos