Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable download for shared files - Set to Preview Only

Highlighted
Resident

Disable download for shared files - Set to Preview Only

Jump to solution

Is there a way to disable or block the download or save option when sending a shared file link? I want people to be able to look at a file (Powerpoint or Adobe) presentation without being able to download it or save it locally. Yes, I know this would not prevent them from taking a screen capture of the images.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Disable download for shared files - Set to Preview Only

Jump to solution

Hi Joy,

The "Preview-Only" feature will be introduced around June timeframe and should address your needs. If you would like to get notifications of our new features, please do subscribe to the What's New section of our HelpDesk from the link below.

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/sections/200348314-What-s-New

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi Joy,

The "Preview-Only" feature will be introduced around June timeframe and should address your needs. If you would like to get notifications of our new features, please do subscribe to the What's New section of our HelpDesk from the link below.

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/sections/200348314-What-s-New

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Resident

Jump to solution

I was very interested in this same functionality. Thanks for posting, and great to hear it's coming!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Vigilante

Jump to solution

Me too. I have recently moved to Egnyte and assumed there would be a way to prevent users with "view only" access to download complete folder structures. I was very suprised to find there is no "preview only" access level. I hope this new feature is released next month indeed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi All,

We're excited to announce that preview-only links are being introduced this weekend on a limited availability basis. Preview-only links will prevent recipients from downloading a file, copy/pasting its contents, or printing it.

Please contact customer support at support@egnyte.com or file a ticket using the link below if you're interested in trying this feature.

https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thanks for your patience and support of Egnyte!

Regards,
Shyam

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Resident

Jump to solution

Any updates on this? Is there a way yet to disable download for shared files. I want to be able to share a link so that recipients view a video without being able to download it. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

@cmrey,Yes! Thanks for the question. When you select a file to share, there are various sharing options you can use and one of those is the option to enable or disable downloads. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 9.23.39 AM.png

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Vigilante

Jump to solution

@JulieMullins, but the preview does not work for videos. Is there any way the preview only setting can also be activated for an MP4 file? I want to share with videos with customers without them being able to download them... 

Please let us know if any update on this will be available.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @David Babin and @cmrey, you are right, this is not for video files. We do have a feature request in our ideas section for this though and it has been accepted by our products team, meaning it has been added to our roadmap. I don't have the exact timeline on it though.

I recommend adding your kudo (like a vote) to that idea which will then provide you with updates as they make progress or when the feature becomes available. 

Also, as you see on that idea, our product team currently has an active beta for video transcoding if you'd like to participate. 

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.