cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Egnyte drive is really slow on the Mac

James Milbery
Resident

Egnyte drive is really slow on the Mac

Egnyte drive is really slow on the Mac. We do notice that it gets better for any given directory tree when you traverse that tree -- but we have some really dense trees that don't get hit all that often. Very annoying to see Finder pausing when navigating these trees. We switched from dropbox to Egnyte because we HATED the desktop syncing approach and like the idea of the mapped drive -- but I am getting lots of bellyaching from users (we have a fiber backbone for heaven's sake) for poor performance.

Labels (1)
11 Replies
Chris Klotz
Resident

Re: Egnyte drive is really slow on the Mac

I don't have an answer but just wanted to add that I am having no luck with Egnyte with the Macs in our company. Most of them do not accept the log in credentials to mount the drive. The ones that I have been successful in mounting run terribly slow and is completely unusable. 30 to 90 seconds to open each folder and gives up before getting 4 or 5 folders deep.

0 Kudos
Johan Johansson
Vigilante

Mac support is horrible at best.

0 Kudos
Earnie Eng
Resident

It's 2018, and I'm running Egnyte Connect 3.0.1 and MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6).  This is still a problem.

I experience about 15-30 second delays drilling down folder paths I seldom traverse.

I am an admin, and have 2-factor authentication set on my account.  Would that security setting have any bearing on the performance?

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Hello @Earnie Eng,

I'm so sorry you're having this issue. I know that is extremely frustrating. As far as I know, the security settings should not be the reason to cause the slowness. This is only used during the authentication part which happens only once when installing and authenticating the drive. 

This looks to be something different and we would suggest you get in touch with support team. You will get proper assistance after correct troubleshooting.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Joe11
Deputy

It's Jun 2019 and this problem is still there. I find the drive is responding poorly when files have been sync'd for off line access and there is no connection to the internet. It takes an unacceptable amount of time to open a file or for the preview to appear when file has been selected. Sometimes the preview never appears. The file status indicators showing the green checkmark etc take 30 secs or more to change the icon look. Navigating through the folders takes forever to appear. Operation returns to normal when an internet connection is established. Why does it take soooo long to open a file when off line and the file is stored locally on the mac hard drive. It doesn't matter what file I try to open, it's takes way to long to open. What's the egynte software doing, uncompressing?, unencrypting? We have to continue to use Egnyte Desktop Sync in order to get any work done.

0 Kudos
Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager

Hi @Joe11, thanks for the feedback and I'm really sorry you're experiencing these challenges. We haven't heard this issue being a part of any broader issue with other users so it would be best to contact support@egnyte.com so they can do some testing on your environment. If we hear that this is a broader issue, then we will update the post. 

Thanks,

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos
Joe11
Deputy

I posted a video that's on youtube that demonstrates the problem with egnyte drive.

I created a ticket on this and waiting to hear back from Egnyte as to when they plan on fixing this.

It's only been a few days and they have this same video as well as some screenshots showing the cpu spiking to 100% while the delay is taking place.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfUcM3CBAVc&t=28s

0 Kudos
Moderator Nars_Support

Hi @Joe11 

Thank you for sharing the video. Desktop App navigation through Finder appears to be rapid, however, there is definitely a noticeable delay with Finder's Preview function. 

It's no coincidence that our Desktop App - Best Practice article recommends disabling Thumbnails, as well as, to avoid browsing using Icon or Cover Flow display mode. This is due to the resource heavy nature of Finder's Preview function (quicklookd).

Per https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8098596, Apple Support's recommendation is to restart Finder or restart the system. The following is a helpful 3rd-party article explaining some of the few changes to help improve Finder performance: https://www.fireebok.com/resource/how-to-fix-macos-finder-slow-after-mojave-update.html

Regards,
Nars

0 Kudos
Joe11
Deputy

I don't agree with you. Your answer makes no sense.

Why does it work properly when I have an internet connection but goes really slow when there is no internet connection. I am not doing anything different. I am repeating the same steps. With an internet connection there are no issues. Take away the internet connection and the issues are present.

Where would these files be stored? They have to be stored to the local hard drive in the Volumes directory. Being local, I would think the file access would be no different than any other folder on the Mac.

Joe

0 Kudos