Did you mean: 

Group Policy Drive Letter allocation & control

Highlighted
Dave Nish
Steward

Group Policy Drive Letter allocation & control

Jump to solution

Hi,

Would be very useful if there could be group policy to control the drive letter across an org

Example: Letter X

Yes I know this can be set via a custom installer, but we dont live in a perfect world.

Have a mix of drive letters is very confusing for users especially if they install outside the network where custom installer might not apply.

Thanks

D

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Group Policy Drive Letter allocation & control

Jump to solution

Hi Dave,

Thank you for writing to us. I will check with the product team to see if there is any way to confine the installation to a specific drive letter. 

Thanks

Sagar.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Dave Nish
Steward

Jump to solution

Turns out you can do this.. certainly in a single drive letter deployment

via GPO create the following registry items, update variable for your environment

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Egnyte\Egnyte Drive\Drive0]
"Domain"="domain.egnyte.com"
"Label"="CompanyNameHere"
"Letter"="X:"

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Dave,

Thank you for writing to us. I will check with the product team to see if there is any way to confine the installation to a specific drive letter. 

Thanks

Sagar.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Dave Nish
Steward

Jump to solution

Turns out you can do this.. certainly in a single drive letter deployment

via GPO create the following registry items, update variable for your environment

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Egnyte\Egnyte Drive\Drive0]
"Domain"="domain.egnyte.com"
"Label"="CompanyNameHere"
"Letter"="X:"

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Is this method applicable to the new Egnyte Connect? We are planning to put up a Turbo instance in our main office, and want to start migrating users from Storage Sync to Connect. But, we need all users to see Egnyte as a consistent drive letter. Storage Sync is currently on drive L and Connect is on Z. Ideally, Connect would remap to L when we move people off of Storage Sync. That would be the least disruptive to applications like AutoCAD which have file pointers to shared templates, pallets, etc. 

On a related subject, when we have remote workers we wish to use Desktop Sync on their laptops, and would want it to map to the same drive as when working at the office. Could that be accomplished through some login scripting?

The goal is to enable applications to see files on the exact same path regardless of what physical location the worker is in. 

0 Kudos
Employee Tri Hoang
Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @David Carroll1 

Yes! For the new Egnyte Connect, please check out this mass deployment guide for Windows and this guide for Mac. Users can always change Egnyte drive letter on their own within our UI or you, as an admin, can definitely deploy a login script to check for existing drives and/or add new drives.

0 Kudos
TimTimTim
Vigilante

Jump to solution

@Tri Hoang Sorry to tag onto an old thread, but could you go into more detail on 'checking' existing labels?  I only see commands to change the label in the 'EgnyteClient.exe' command help.  Is the current drive labels listed anywhere in the system besides the EgnyteConnect gui?

@Tri Hoang wrote:

can definitely deploy a login script to check for existing drives and/or add new drives.

0 Kudos
Employee Tri Hoang
Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @TimTimTim

My bad, I should have been clearer. 'check' existing label is implicitly understood in the "add" drive command by our app. This means "add" drive  command will check if the specified label is already taken, if it is, the command will be ignored, if the label is new, we will proceed with the add drive flow.

Tri

0 Kudos