cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide Parent Path for User

Hide Parent Path for User

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I have searched the forums, but have not found an exact answer to my question. We regularly share our site with subcontractors who are given access to subfolders within projects as standard users so that we can manage their work for us. However, our file structure is complex and the parent path information can contain information that we would normally not like to share. I would like to share subfolders but "Hide" all of the parent folders from a "standard" user's view. See below. 

Actual path: Parent1/SubFold1/Subfold2-share

Desired path viewed by standard user: /Subfold2-share

Note that the user has no need to see or access above the level of their permission-so anyway to turn off their view of same? I know they can't see what's in the parent folders - but it does give insight into our business which I would like to limit. 

Thanks in advance. 

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Hide Parent Path for User

Jump to solution

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for writing to us. I understood what you mean to say.

The actual path is shown on the UI coz the user has to navigate to the sub-folder via the parent folder. There would be cases where a certain user would not have access to just one sub-folder, but different subfolders. In such cases, I am sure the UI team must have seen some challenge in this. We would also want to keep symmetry in the UI.

I hope this explains the UI folder structure. 

Thanks

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for writing to us. I understood what you mean to say.

The actual path is shown on the UI coz the user has to navigate to the sub-folder via the parent folder. There would be cases where a certain user would not have access to just one sub-folder, but different subfolders. In such cases, I am sure the UI team must have seen some challenge in this. We would also want to keep symmetry in the UI.

I hope this explains the UI folder structure. 

Thanks

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Sagar,

Thank you for your reply. I think the short answer is that I am not missing something and there currently is no setting that would hide the directory structure-so thanks for that.

To addressing this though, I certainly appreciate that the structure needs to "exist" to be navigable. However, at a minimum, it would seem to me to very simple to place an ""XX" for display purposes for directories that the user does not have rights to. Not a structural change, just a display change. 

My two cents,
Chris

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Jump to solution

Thanks Chris. I got your point. That sounds like a nice suggestion.

My thoughts.

There is a downside to it as well. If there arises a need for the user to send across the folder path to some one or just use the folder path for any other reason, he/she will have to resort to contacting the admin and fetch it. The XX will not be of any use to them in such cases. 

Thanks

0 Kudos