cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing links within documents when accessed by other team members.

Highlighted
Stephean
Deputy

Missing links within documents when accessed by other team members.

Jump to solution
Our team uses the Desktop Connect app for time efficiency working on files. If links were imported into a document by one user and later that document is opened by another user, the links are considered missing and have to be relinked. I am guessing that since the root for the linked files start in “username@servername” this is effecting the path to the link.

We often have multiple team members working with the same files, at various times, and linking files into those documents. Some of our files can have upwards of 100 linked images. Relinking files, in these instances, really hinders our workflow.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there any advice for working around this issue? We have only been using this product for 3 weeks so I'm still feeling it out. Our team is less than 10 employees and I'm not interested in upgrading to the Storage Sync plan yet.
Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Employee Tri Hoang
Employee

Re: Missing links within documents when accessed by other team members.

Jump to solution

@Stephean Thanks for the screenshot. It definitely helps. The causes of your issue are:

1. InDesign uses abosolute link so the correct link path is critical to ensure linking works.
  2. Each user in your company have a different drive label i.e. stephean@mightymobile vs alan@mightymobile. This might be a result of adding drives for 2 or more users of the same domain during mass deployment.

The solution now is to standardize the drive label for every users who will be collaborating with each other. You can change drive label by going to Settings (from the Desktop App) -> Configure drive -> Enter new Drive label name. Please make sure that the label name is consistent across users. Let us know if this works!

14 Replies
Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Stephean Since we haven't seen a response from someone else in the community yet, I've started asking around from our support and products teams. I'll respond back soon.

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos
Community Manager GregNeustaetter
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Stephean, do you have more information on what types of files you are working with and what the application is? Different applications use different approaches to link files.  Most applications do have a good way to link files based on relative paths, and in this way it should work both across users and across different operating systems (i.e. Windows and Mac).

0 Kudos
JasonD
Vigilante

Jump to solution

The same thing is happeing to me. I am using indesign on a mac. Working from the desktop app. This has happened when I start a job at the office, then try to work from home and the links are missing. Nothing moved, no else touched the file. I have also had the problem when other people have created a file and another person in the office trys to work on the file. Not the same file, different files.

Any info wouldl be helpful.

0 Kudos
Stephean
Deputy

Jump to solution

We discovered the problem when working in the application Adobe Indesign.

0 Kudos
Employee Tri Hoang
Employee

Jump to solution

From what I found, it seems like most file links in Indesign are absolute. If files are linked based on abosolute path, there might be issues when multiple users on different devices/OS try to access the same main file.

For most applications, the Egnyte Desktop App should still work in case of files that have references to other files. We have seen our customers worked with linked Office, Autocad files with no issues.

@JasonD: Did you use the same device to access your inDesign project? Did you have access to your linked files on Finder when you are at home? 

@Stephean: Which OS does your team use? The "username@servername" piece might be issue if your links based off on absolute path. I assume your users all have access (on Egnyte) to the main file and linked files?

0 Kudos
Stephean
Deputy

Jump to solution

We’re on High Sierra and everyone has access to all the files and folders on Egnyte.

0 Kudos
JasonD
Vigilante

Jump to solution

Yes are all working from the same operating system. I was using a different mac, but have access to all the same files from home. It doesn't happen on all projects, no rhyme or reason. 

0 Kudos
Employee Tri Hoang
Employee

Jump to solution

@JasonD and @Stephean: we just ran your scenario in InDesign 2018 and the links worked fine.

• We linked files using Files -> Add place
  • The linked files are in /Shared/
  • Our test users have access to the folder containing the linked files.

Please retry or contact our support team for more in-depth support. You can do that directly in the Desktop App. Please don't forget to attach logs as well!

0 Kudos
Stephean
Deputy

Jump to solution

It still will not work on our end. It would also not work within Adobe Illustrator today either. Attached are screen grabs of my links panel within Indesign. In one image I show the path for the unlinked image. In the other, I show the path for a link that is good. Everything within "Documents" is shared to our whole team. Let me know if this helps. If not, I will go through support.

0 Kudos