Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One file, multiple possible locations

Joy_Rowe
Steward

One file, multiple possible locations

Jump to solution

While the feature request for allowing one file to be linked or accessible from multiple folder locations is being considered (see requests below), can anyone from the Community offer suggestions on how to tag, name, or otherwise indicate when File X relates to Folder Y, Z, A, B, & C?

Given that I can only store File X in one location and given that I do not want to create duplicates, what creative solutions has the community come up with for creating multiple access points for one file?

Tagging? File naming? 

See also:

https://community.egnyte.com/t5/Ideas/Shortcuts-or-links-to-files-folders-in-other-locations/idi-p/6...

https://community.egnyte.com/t5/Ideas/SUGGESTION-Internal-Link-Capability/idi-p/6985

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager JulieMullins
Community Manager

Re: One file, multiple possible locations

Jump to solution

@Joy_Rowe, hopefully we can get some other members to chime in here, but in the meantime, I asked around and there are a couple ways others are doing it today as a workaround. 

1) Use the metadata API to tag files and folders. The tags could then be searchable in the Web UI. Here's an article that discusses this: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/114094840191-Metadata-in-Egnyte.

2) Can keep a document in the other location(s) that houses the link to that location. A bit clunky but a definite workaround.

3) Use subfolders and corresponding subfolder permissions to grant necessary access to broader audiences while keeping your access to your primary folder secure to a select group. 

Best,
- Julie
PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Joy_Rowe, hopefully we can get some other members to chime in here, but in the meantime, I asked around and there are a couple ways others are doing it today as a workaround. 

1) Use the metadata API to tag files and folders. The tags could then be searchable in the Web UI. Here's an article that discusses this: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/hc/en-us/articles/114094840191-Metadata-in-Egnyte.

2) Can keep a document in the other location(s) that houses the link to that location. A bit clunky but a definite workaround.

3) Use subfolders and corresponding subfolder permissions to grant necessary access to broader audiences while keeping your access to your primary folder secure to a select group. 

Best,
- Julie
PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos
Joy_Rowe
Steward

Jump to solution

Thanks, Julie. #2 solution is one that I have suggested to the user, though it's true that it is quite clunky for 145 files.

I don't understand #3. Can you say more about it?

Thanks,

Joy

0 Kudos
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Joy_Rowe, for #3, it doesn't actually keep the file in 2 places so it probably doesn't help your scenario much, but I wanted to mention it in case permissions were a concern at all.

If for example, you wanted all of your employees to be able to access an org chart, however that org chart was housed in the HR folder that had permissions making it accessible only to those on the HR team. You don't want all of your employees to access the entire HR folder so you could create a subfolder with different permissions in that HR folder. You could set separate permissions for that subfolder so it could be open to all employees to access while still keeping the rest of the HR folder closed to the HR team only.

You would still need to link employees to that folder, but then you would not have to deal with any permissioning challenges for access.

Again, might not help your situation, but I wanted to include it as it can be a workaround if you needed some files in multiple locations due to permission settings.

Best,
- Julie
0 Kudos
Joy_Rowe
Steward

Jump to solution

For our use case, we used a modified version of solution #2.

In each folder where the document would be searched for, we created a document with the same file name that has as its contents an Egnyte Direct link to the original file. This is not creating duplicate files - it is only creating file names that are the same in different folders, so we avoid the version control issue. It is a messy workaround, but it does work, more or less.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks for sharing your workaround with the community, @Joy_Rowe.

Best,
- Julie
0 Kudos