cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onenote file stored on Egnyte being corrupted

a-hack
Vigilante

Onenote file stored on Egnyte being corrupted

I am trying to store my OneNote workbooks on Egnyte to use across multiple devices (in a similar way to what they do with OneDrive), with Egnyte Connect, however there is an issue that the OneNote file tries to sync immdiately on opening OneNote, however the file has been retrevied fully from Egnyte, and therefore gets corrupted. 

The below is Egnyte's summary of the problem;

Summary of the issue (to describe to Microsoft):
- The Egnyte Connect Desktop App is designed to automatically download files upon access by the user. This is achieved using a file system driver to implement a virtual file system in which the user accesses content. The content is downloaded to the users machine upon access.
- Every other application we see will actually wait to receive the contents of a file before it writes to it, however OneNote seems to begin writing to the file before all its content has been loaded. On the hard drive, this is not necessarily an issue because all the content can be loaded quickly but since our application needs to download the file, the delay results in a state where OneNote starts writing to the file before the file is completely downloaded. This is what ultimately results in loss of information.
- The request from OneNote is to avoid writing to the file until it is fully downloaded.

Does any one use OneNote files stored in Egnyte, if so have they experienced this and come up with a workaround? If so i would be forever grateful for a solution. 

Tags (1)
11 Replies
Highlighted
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

Re: Onenote file stored on Egnyte being corrupted

@a-hack,

Looks like no other user has been facing or seen this problem. 

We already have a support case open for you and are checking with our Product Manager for their feedback on this. We will post an update there once we hear back. 

But yes, if there is anyone else facing this issue and has a workaround/solution they found, I would encourage them to post it here to assist fellow community members.

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos

My team is facing the same issue. It's quickly growing to become more and more of a problem. Before Egnyte, all our OneNote documents synced correctly using CTera. Now, since switching to Egnyte, numerous OneNote files are becoming corrupt. I'm going to file a case for this, as we need to fix it ASAP. We have 30 people working heavily with OneNote on a day to day basis on 20-30 projects daily. Maybe more. Any advice or solutions are greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Retired Employee Sagar
Retired Employee

@JoeyPontarelli,

I see you have already filed a ticket with support and are in the process of providing the information our technician requested. I am sure support will be able to assist or rope in the necessary resources to solve this case for you. 

Thanks.

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question."
0 Kudos
Randy Lessor1
Resident

Has this been corrected as this has become a hige issue with our company (noticed over the last two months)?

Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee

Hi all,

There is a bug in the OneNote integration, which is why you're experiencing these issues. We are working with the OneNote team to get this resolved as quickly as possible and will reply here once it is fixed. Thanks for your patience and apologies for the inconvenience. 

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.

Update on my issue above.
After months of going back and forth with Egnyte, the techs informed me that they can't help us, unfortunately. It's disappointing, but it appears that the two apps just do not play nicely together. As you can see below, they recommended connecting with Microsoft. I have tried multiple times and they are extremely unhelpful. It feels impossible for them to help and they basically told me: It is the way it is. We aren't changing anything, so your best option is to ask Egnyte. Thanks, Microsoft.

Lastly, the workaround won't work for the way my team operates.

Here's the message from the Egnyte tech

We have investigated this thoroughly from our side but unfortunately, there is really no way we can resolve this from our end. Our recommended option is to reach out to Microsoft Support (see info to provide below) to see if they can make changes to handle this in OneNote.
Summary of the issue (to describe to Microsoft):

• The Egnyte Connect Desktop App is designed to automatically download files upon access by the user. This is achieved using a file system driver to intercept file system actions in the virtual drive that we create.
  • Every other application we see will actually wait to receive the contents of a file before it writes to it, however OneNote seems to begin writing to the file before all its content has been loaded. On the hard drive, this is not necessarily an issue because all the content can be loaded quickly but since our application needs to download the file, the delay results in a state where OneNote starts writing to the file before the file is completely downloaded. This is what ultimately results in loss of information.
  • The request from OneNote is to avoid writing to the file until it is fully downloaded.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

OneNote is not supported by Desktop App. The workaround would be to synchronize folder with OneNote files to be accessible offline so the files are always on the user's disk.

0 Kudos

Hi Julie! Any update on the bug fix by the OneNote team? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Retired Employee JulieMullins
Retired Employee

Hi @JoeyPontarelli, sorry for the delay, but we do not have an update on this from the Microsoft team as of yet. We'll update you once we hear anything. 

Best,
- Julie

PS. Help others find answers by selecting "Accept as Solution" if a post answers your question.
0 Kudos

Thank you! I appreciate the support you have shown and your effort to fix this. I hope a solution can be found quickly with Microsoft. When it comes to Microsoft though, I won't hold my breath :(

Joey

0 Kudos