cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting access to a single folder

Joan Harkins1
Vigilante

Restricting access to a single folder

Hello, I'm never sure if I share folders in the way I want.

I want to share a folder with an individual outside the organization and i only want them to see the one folder I share with them (they need to upload photos).  I am always concerned that I'm going to accidentaly give them access to my whole company file structure. This has happened several times unfortunately.  Can someone give me simple instructions for how to share a folder with someone outside the org and give them "editor" permissions and ensure they can't see anything else???

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Moderator bdawer

Re: Restricting access to a single folder

Hi @Joan Harkins1 

Thank you for reaching out to the community.  We have several articles on how to share folders in Egnyte.  I would suggest you start here:  Sharing Folder Access

You can also continue reading here:  Additional Details on Folder Sharing 

We hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Joan Harkins1
Vigilante

Hello, I've read all the articles. 

Unfortunately none of them addresses my concern.  I need to know without a doubt that the person I gave permission to as "editor" can't see any other folders besides the one I shared.  I've followed all the directions in the help articles in the past, and I still have issues with people being able to see everything!! 

Is there a report I can run that shows me what folders a person has access to?  For instance, I would like a report on a single user that proves he can only see the one folder I gave him access to.

0 Kudos
Moderator bdawer

Hi @Joan Harkins1 

Since those articles didn't work for you, here are a few suggestions from support.  If these don't work for you we suggest you open a ticket with our support team at support@egnyte.com so we can walk you through it. 

1. You can create a test account to see what other folders are visible before granting access to remove any doubts.
  2. You can run Folder Permissions report to confirm user does not have access to any other folders. 

We hope these suggestions help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joan Harkins1
Vigilante

Thanks.  I'll open a ticket with support. When I run the folder permissions report, i just get a couple of pages of undifferentiated folders and names that aren't associated.  Maybe there is a problem with my Egnyte implementation.

0 Kudos